Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,169   Online: 759

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm - good idea?

A film SLR that has a compact flash slot so that if someone asks for your "film", you can give the person your memory card.

Film camera shooters are so rare now that that might just work to shut the person up.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    About the time you try that, the cop who asks you for it will actually own one of whatever and call your bluff.

Shooter
    35mm
    Carrying a business card that names you as a professional photographer may help with the law or rentable-cops, maybe not. For us non-pros, we can still print up a similar card, saying we are non-pros (if we want to). Alerting the police AHEAD of time sounds like an extremely good idea - better for you to call them than someone who thinks you are a bad guy, or a nut, or worse. The high visibility outerwear also sounds great, but dont forget the headgear. If you have a lawyer, you may want to ask them what your legal rights are, in your area, as well.

Remember, on the street, your rights are whatever the coppers say they are. Yes, I watch too much Law & Order on the tube.

Paul

Shooter
    35mm
    Best not to argue with cops, especially the short ones. Argue with a complaint, filed after the fact. That can, and sometimes does get the point across. Captains hate complaints- especially legitimate ones. If enough people complained properly, this stuff would ease up.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you see the police/security people coming your way, greet them in a friendly manner - it automatically disarms them because they realize anyone willing to acknowledge them and talk to them (and be identified by them) is probably not doing anything nefarious. It also takes away their "element of surprise", and puts them on the defensive, turning them from dominant aggressors into passive responders.

As to the "call the cops ahead of time" thing: while I understand the benefit, THAT smacks of police state even more than the getting harassed by idiots when out shooting. I'm not doing anything illegal or illegitimate - why should I have to check in with big brother to tell them what I'm doing and why? If I were going to do something dangerous or stupid (but not illegal) I could understand giving someone a heads up (ie going to photograph by myself in an abandoned building), so that if I didn't check in at a certain time, they could dispatch emergency personnel to retrieve me.
    Last edited by TheFlyingCamera; 02-05-2008 at 11:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Sorry about the bottle thing John, I didn't know that was you...
    no worries jason
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    It also helps if you have some kind of affiliation with law enforcement yourself. Being related to a cop is a big help for getting out of stuff. Military affiliation also goes a long way - whip out your military ID if you have it when asked to identify yourself.
    Interesting advice. I mustered out of the Army in December, 1970. What magic ID am I to use?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Best not to argue with cops, especially the short ones. Argue with a complaint, filed after the fact. That can, and sometimes does get the point across. Captains hate complaints- especially legitimate ones. If enough people complained properly, this stuff would ease up.
    Probably the most sage advice in this thread. Don't argue with the cop. Just get a badge number. Get a receipt for any confiscated property. Take factual notes as the event happens or shortly afterwards. The only question worth asking is "am I under arrest?" See a lawyer after the fact.

Don't walk or run away, else you may see yourself charged for resisting arrest, Tasered, or shot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Probably the most sage advice in this thread. Don't argue with the cop. Just get a badge number. Get a receipt for any confiscated property. Take factual notes as the event happens or shortly afterwards. The only question worth asking is "am I under arrest?" See a lawyer after the fact.

Don't walk or run away, else you may see yourself charged for resisting arrest, Tasered, or shot.
    this is a long way OT, but ...

this reminds me of when i was driving in harvard square near boston
    and people walked out infront of my car. i was at a green light, they,
    being agressive-foot people just stepped off the curb as the do not walk sign
    shone infront of them.
    i braked hard, and a cop then gave me a citation for driving wrecklessly.
    i took his badge, and name and the ticket, and appeared for a hearing
    since i refused to pay a fine for doing nothing ( other than breaking a j-walker )
    anyhow, the police's lawyer and another officer were there at the hearing
    and i told my side of the story ... i told them the name of the policeman
    who gave me the ticket, and then they shook their heads ...
    he was known for giving people a hard time i am guessing.
    charges were dismissed ...

so yes, take badge and name and then go to a hearing.
    more than likely, the arresting officer will not be there, and
    you won't be intimidated when you state the facts from your
    side of the story ...
    go with a friend, maybe the person you were shooting with ?
    it doesn't matter ...
    police departments don't want to deal with hearings, and
    they don't like police officers who hand out tickets for no reason at all
    it costs them in the end ...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Interesting advice. I mustered out of the Army in December, 1970. What magic ID am I to use?
    This seems to work only for active duty folks. There are a lot of cops who are also in the National Guard or otherwise affiliated with the armed forces and so they give a wider berth to fellow soldiers. If you got out of the services in 1970, I don't think they're going to care one iota. Unless they too served in Vietnam.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin