Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,480   Posts: 1,542,693   Online: 830

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi Marc,
    The Korkers should work just fine. There is a lot of glare ice in places, some covered with a camouflage layer of fluffy snow. I almost slid into the harbor at Two Harbors, it looked like packed snow but was what I just described. I went down on my back and started to slide. Pretty exciting!! Have a good time up there, lots of open water..TTYL..Evan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon King View Post
    "stream crossings using wet logs"?? That's one tough mail route you have there!!
    :rolleyes: lol

I have YakTrax ..or something like that.
    I like walking on the ice without them as it's a good challenge ..but if I actually want to get somewhere I have worn them
    When I start to fear broken bones ..that's when I'll wear them more often

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    Jeez, Murray, you may be right. The bad part is that it sometimes requires the photographer's demise..that would just suck!!..Thanks..Evan
    Hmmm, good point. I'd better come up with a marketing strategy that doesn't have everyone checking for my expiration date

Murray

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Got my Micro Spikes, serious business and way less messing around than my crampons. They're easy to put on and they seem to stay on really well..EC

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I was delivering mail to a house a couple weeks ago with a steeply sloping driveway covered in 1/2 inch thick ice that had been rained on and was now smooooth. As I walked up the driveway a fella stepped off the porch and slid 60 feet to the bottom of the driveway without moving a muscle. I stomped past him with my 20 pound satchel on, delivered the mail, stomped straight down the driveway at normal speed, then planted a foot at the bottom and made a right angle turn to carry on my way. The cab driver that was picking the fella up said his jaw dropped and he said, "What the f***? How did he do that"!

Hehehe

Murray

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post
    I was delivering mail to a house a couple weeks ago with a steeply sloping driveway covered in 1/2 inch thick ice that had been rained on and was now smooooth. As I walked up the driveway a fella stepped off the porch and slid 60 feet to the bottom of the driveway without moving a muscle. I stomped past him with my 20 pound satchel on, delivered the mail, stomped straight down the driveway at normal speed, then planted a foot at the bottom and made a right angle turn to carry on my way. The cab driver that was picking the fella up said his jaw dropped and he said, "What the f***? How did he do that"!

Hehehe

Murray
    I took mine for the first test Saturday crossing from hard ice over a packed snow bank and down a hill with packed sledding snow. I went down another hill and onto ice and snow covered rocks under a waterfall. These things are like suction cups, I felt like Spiderman (except for the fat, baldness and old age)...EC

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Wicked Ice Cleats Update

I wore my microspikes all winter and wore them out!! They are a fantastic tool and I keep them between my feet on the floor of the car at all times. The spikes rounded off from abrasion on ice and rocks but I was able to sharpen them in a huge disk sander I have. I bought a new pair from REI because I had a dividend and they had a 20% off sale!! I called the company and suggested making a model with carbide spikes..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've seen these, but I thought they were a little too aggressive. I bought YaxTraks which work pretty well. They do want to shift on my boots, and they fit pretty tight. Maybe next winter I'll try these.
    Ya, like ECLARKE, as we get older, fatter, slower, we need a little more security.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    My Yaktrax were like ball bearings in some situations and on the Mn. North Shore last winter wer almost useless. These Microspikes do the job under every circumstance making them effective when the walking surface fades form snow to hard ice. They are not nearly as aggressive as crampons and are really easy to put on your feet. My mistake this year was using them on the driveway when snowblowing but now ia can use the old pair for that and use my new ones for photographing...EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I can report that yaktrax do not suffice for climbing glaciers in Iceland in January

For level ground they are pretty much okay.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin