Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,639   Online: 1165

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey A. Steinberg View Post
    Interestingly enough, they must have been ahead of their time because in their song, girls are on film "two minutes later." It takes at least 6 minutes for just the developer....

I clearly have too much time on my hands.
    Well, I always took it to mean that they had been captured on film two minutes later. It doesn't have to be processed for them to "be" on the film.

But yes, you do clearly have too much time on your hands.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Or maybe you used a Polaroid? Eh? Anybody up to calculate the development time of 1980's Polaroid?
    I still think that J Geils 'Freeze Frame' was either the Canon F1n or the A1 with motor FN.
    You can check the Girls on Film by placing a FM/FE with MD12/11 to your ear then crank the song at the same time. Like 'Wizard of Oz' and "Dark Side of the Moon'. For Nikon Geeks.

Then of course there is "Kodachrome" by Simon and Garfunkel. I wonder what other cameras / film songs are out there. probably a lot. I wonder if there is a german ode to a Rollei or a Leica someplace out there on a 45 or LP.

Back to the darkroom (really).
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey A. Steinberg View Post
    Then of course there is "Kodachrome" by Simon and Garfunkel. I wonder what other cameras / film songs are out there. probably a lot. I wonder if there is a german ode to a Rollei or a Leica someplace out there on a 45 or LP.
    Nina Hagen "Du hast den Farbfilm vergessen"
    (Not Kodachrome, but rather Orwochrom... from that time when it still had no `e´.)

And I think (though not sure) the Gevaert company once had a hymne.
    Last edited by AgX; 02-12-2008 at 05:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depeche Mode - Photographic
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUP5W10wGEA

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I don't have any Nikons, but I do have 3 of the 4 synths that Nick Rhodes typically used in those days - the Sequential Circuits Prophet-5 (seen in the video for "Girls on Film"), the Crumar Performer (used for string sounds), the Roland Jupiter-8 (think the arpegiated notes in "Rio". Some day, I hope to find a Fairlight, one of the first digital samplers which they bought while recording Rio, and used to make that backwards cymbals sound used as the mirror breaks in the video as the start.

By the way, one of Nick Rhodes hobbies is photography. I understand he has a darkroom and he also took the photos used on the cover and inside their latest album, "Red Carpet Massacre". The photos are of 4 very beautiful Russian models...
    Last edited by Kirk Keyes; 02-16-2008 at 11:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull is an avid Leica shooter. He mentions it in his website. I am no sure if he has a darkroom.

I invited him to come use my darkroom if hey ever plays near NYC. I hope he shows up!
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've got an ARP 2600 in my attic, with the name "ROGER GLOVER" stencilled across the outside. Must get round to fixing it one day - it's only partly functioning. There's also a Korg Mono/Poly and a Roland SH-09 still up there. The Korgies got sold some years ago (the MS-20, MS-10 and SQ-10) together with my old TR-808.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ian - very cool. I loved Machine Head.

And I have an ARP 2600 in my attic (well, third floor) as well. No cool names written on it as far as I can tell. As close as I have to a famous person is that my Prophet-5 is 10 serial numbers away from Peter Gabriel's P-5, both Series 1 machines with only 176 or so of them made.

I did get a set of official ARP patch sheets with it. My favorite one shows how to make that cool synth sound from Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein". Sadly, the VCO 1 on my 2600 is non-functioning at this time.

I'm not really a Korg person, but I do have an EX-800. And I'd love to get an MS-20 or 10. One of my favorite bands uses 3 of the new MS-2000s on stage - Ladytron. I just bought my tickets for when they come to the States this summer.

And while I'm at it, I've got a Roland D-50, a Minimoog, an Oberheim OB-8, and on indefinite loan from a friend, a Chroma (APR descendant) Polaris and a Yamaha DX-5 - a monster of a synth which is the equivalent of 2 DX-7s in one keyboard. It does the Taco Bell sound really well, but it just doesn't have that great vintage analog sound like the Jupiter-8, the OB-8, the Arp or the Minimoog. Oh yeah, and I have a LinnDrum LM-1, as heard in the Human League's "Don't you Want Me, Baby". Such a classic sounding drum machine - so distinctive.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin