Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,376   Online: 1099

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey A. Steinberg View Post
    Then of course there is "Kodachrome" by Simon and Garfunkel. I wonder what other cameras / film songs are out there. probably a lot. I wonder if there is a german ode to a Rollei or a Leica someplace out there on a 45 or LP.
    Off the top of my head:

"Photograph" by Def Leppard,
    "Pictures of Lily" by The Kinks,
    "Photograph" by Air,
    "Wishing (If I Had A Photograph Of You)" by A Flock of Seagulls,
    "A Photograph of You" by Depeche Mode,
    "The Camera Eye" by Rush,
    "Photograph" by Astrud Gilberto,
    and "Camera" by Editors
    all come to mind, as well as "Kodachrome" and others already mentioned.

Then there's the bands "Aztec Camera" and "Camera Obscura".

All of which got me thinking and a little digging turned up masses more, including songs called "Photograph" by artists as diverse as Nickelback, Jamie Cullum and Ringo Starr. Apparently there's at least four bands that have recorded songs called "Leica", and a band called Hi-Standard that did a song called "Pentax". (I shall refrain from any stupid jokes about "Canon" and Bach, Pachelbel, etc.) That quick search was just on titles, there must be many more songs that mention photography in the lyrics without it being in the title. Seems we have a good range to choose from in looking for a theme song...

I'm sure Ian Anderson can't be the only musician also to be a photographer, but I don't know of others. OK, Phil Collins did photograph the audience from on stage at the recent Genesis reunion, but I'm not sure if that really counts!

And I suppose the other J Geiles Song - Angel was a Centrefold - is sort of about a photograph (I had to mention that, because it actually happened to me.)

Peter

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandicoot View Post
    And I suppose the other J Geiles Song - Angel was a Centrefold - is sort of about a photograph (I had to mention that, because it actually happened to me.)

Peter
    You're not Peter Wolf are you?

Also, you could mention "Camera Club" which had Thomas Dolby and Bruce Woolley. And a song called "Camera" by ex-Kraftwerk member Karl Bartos.

Brian Adams (singer from Canada; Hope I spelled his fist name right) is quite the photographer. If memory serves, he had an exposition. I have also noted that Leica M6 and M7's are "arm candy" for movie stars. I can't remember who had it; I think it was Brad Pitt?
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think Johnny Depp has been seen with a Leica.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    You're not Peter Wolf are you?
    LOL, no...

(Though I have had many different nicknames over time, the only animals I've ever been named after have been pigs and horses. It's a long story...)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey A. Steinberg View Post
    Brian Adams (singer from Canada; Hope I spelled his fist name right) is quite the photographer. If memory serves, he had an exposition.
    I think he's a Bryan. Yes you're right, I'd forgotten about his photography: it was quite good as I recall.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All this talk about synths makes me want to try to play a Yamaha CS6x that I was given. I've no idea if its a good synth or whatever but I like 80's electronica a lot.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The CS6x sounds like it's worth playing - it's from 1999 and Depeche Mode has been known to use it.

Also, Ben Folds of Ben Folds Five is an APUG member I think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thats cool. I really like DM. Was listening to the album Telecommunications by A Flock of Seagulls yesterday and, yep I think I'll get the synth out to play

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Old synths...... when everybody was buying M1's and the like I managed to pick up a load of old synths for next to nothing. Ended up with a Minimoog, ARP2600, OBX-a, Prophet 5, Roland SH101, TR808, Wurli and Rhodes, a newer Mellotron (called a Novatron), Jupiter 4, Juno 106 and probably a couple more (oh yes, a Super JX-10).

Sold them all at a huge profit several years later and am now down to virtual instruments and a couple of master controllers. Not quite the same. They stay in tune, don't break down and I don't get a hernia carrying them about. I remember breaking out in a sweat many times when you'd start to hear a not going steadily flatter on the Wurli and then wacking the offending key in between songs in order to snap the tine bar. Better no note than a flat one.
    So many drummers, so little time.

Don't forget the one that started it all (in my opinion), the Yamaha DX-7, the first (I believe) FM mixing snyth. Back in 1984 we had it hooked up to our VAX 11-780 computer (a "freightrain" of a computer, 5 19" rack cabinets) and you could write code and play it out on the DX-7. I can't remember the device but I think it had the word "river" in it.

--Jeffrey
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin