Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,213   Posts: 1,532,106   Online: 1143

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What about the pioneers of electronica? Jean Michel Jarre, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream etc? Those guys were using Moogs and Korgs back in the early to mid seventies.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Yamaha DX-7 was the Kodak DCS-100 digital camera of it's day. Or perhaps the DCS-100 was the DX-7 of it's day. A landmark in the history of music, or cameras, depending on which one you're referring to.

My friend loved the DX-5 that he loaned me - it's 2 DX-7s in one keyboard. I really love the sound and feel and touch of analog synths, even ones that were hybrid - that is analog wave modifying with a digitally controlled voltage controlled oscillator. Like my Jupiter-8 - lots of knobs and sliders. It's so easy to operate, not like the DX-5. Even my not quite 2 year old likes the Jupiter-8. I've even stored a couple of really cool sounds programmed into it that she's come up with.

By the way - are any of you guys in Europe going to see Jean Michel Jarre? He's doing shows all over Europe for the next few months. I tried to talk my DX-5 friend into going to London to see JMJ play at Royal Albert Hall, but my friend could not swing it. I hear rumour that Jarre will play in New York or perhaps Los Angeles. I'm definitely going to a show in the US if he comes.

I saw Kraftwerk in 2005 - a dream come true for me. Get the DVD they made, it's really captures the feel of the shows. I never thought I would see them. Another electronic band I saw last year was The Human League, that was a lot of fun to see Philip and the girls. And I caught Gary Numan 10 years ago as well, another electronic pioneer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    JMJ is in Dublin soon

[Actually Kirk I've some digi snaps of Ladytron from September last year if you want PM me]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The DX7 dated very quickly and was pretty redundant once Korg launched the M1. Like Kirk I couldn't get into the FM sounds, very flat and plasticky unlike the analog synths with lovely oscillator drift.
    Wait a second..... not another analog and digital debate
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've got a VL-70m, physical modelling synth. Photography hasn't got as far as physical modelling yet.

And on the subject of songs about photography, how about Tommy Steele's 'Flash, Bang, Wallop' - it is left as an exercise to the reader to find the lyrics themselves.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian, I was just thinking about the Yamaha VL's yesterday (I know, it's a sad life). I used one one stage for a month when the sax player became ill. Fantastic instrument but it was easy to go a bit red in the face blowing the breath controller. Been looking for one for a while now.
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Physical modeling is pretty cool. As far as photography and physical modelling goes, I think the last 3 Star Wars and the Lord of the Rings movies used a lot of it in them. Think Gollum and Jar Jar.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Tindale View Post
    I've got an ARP 2600 in my attic, with the name "ROGER GLOVER" stencilled across the outside. Must get round to fixing it one day - it's only partly functioning. There's also a Korg Mono/Poly and a Roland SH-09 still up there. The Korgies got sold some years ago (the MS-20, MS-10 and SQ-10) together with my old TR-808.
    You keep all that in the attic?!

...Do you want to, em, no longer have it in the attic?

also: Freezepop - Boys On Film

Talk about a timely subject, I just got American Photographer in the mail and its dedicated to "celebrities" as photographers. The one that impressed me the most was Aaron Eckhart (the biker in "Erin Brockovich"

And I was right, it mentions that B Pitt had an old Leca and that is wife bought him a 4x5 folder for his birthday.
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey A. Steinberg View Post
    Brian Adams (singer from Canada; Hope I spelled his fist name right) is quite the photographer. If memory serves, he had an exposition.
    Bryan Adams.

I went round the National Portrait Gallery, near Trafalgar Square, London, GB, Earth, yesterday morning during a brief gap in my duties. He's got an exhibition there - "Modern Muses" - at the current time, and I was quite pleased to observe really serious attention to the high quality of work and what an eye he has for arrangement, lighting and presentation of the subject.

I would describe the style as "adding nothing superfluous to the essential topic; extracting what is actually there to accentuate the communicative value of the subject; encapsulating and presenting in a manner that works both immediately and over longer-term consumption of the image." and I enjoyed seeing the work.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin