Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,860   Online: 832

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Duran Duran Girls on Film Motor Drive Sound: Which one

Ok, here's something completely random. I have never seen the video
    of "girls on film" only hearing it on the radio for the past 20+ years or so.

I think its an Olympus motor drive listening to the rate and the high-pitched sound it makes.

Does anyone know which camera/drive they recorded?

Now, back to our regular topics....
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can't help you with that particular question, but since we're discussing motor drive sounds, I thought I'd share this.

A couple of days ago I got a Nikon F3 with MD4 motor drive. Never used it before, and I don't ever use motor drives, but this one came as a set...

So, I got the camera and loaded some batteries in the motor drive to test it. When I heard the sound it makes, I suddenly felt like the proverbial Proust with his "Madleine" cookies...

It looks like I finally nailed the source of the "camera sounds" in almost 99% Hollywood movies I've seen so far. You know, that idiotic motor drive whizz-clack sounds you hear in a Hollywood movie when the main character shoots e.g. a 1950-ies Leica or even a Rolleiflex (sometimes even including a visual of the stroboscopic flash firing - and the flash is nowhere to be seen)

Ahhh, one of the mysteries of life solved

So, when I saw your question, I thought it could also be that one - don't have that song at hand, so can't really verify...

But, I could record the F3/MD-4 combo sound and provide the sound recording for you to compare

Denis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have an answer either. Although I have to admit that, as a young adolescent, it was my favourite video!
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeffrey - I think this line of enquiry officially designates us as "camera geeks". However, acknowledging this to be true, I searched my iTunes list and "Girls on Film" shows up (twice, actually) in my 80's playlist.

After listening, my money (or at least a beer) would be on the familiar Nikon F3/MD-4 combination, and I bet there would be a lot more of those around at the time ('81-ish?) than the Oly drive. Graham
    Last edited by GM Bennett; 02-09-2008 at 09:13 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just love the sound of my Nikon F3 with motor drive!!
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the video there are two cameras, a Nikon and a Hasselblad. I just watched it seventeen times to make sure...
    Last edited by Andy K; 02-09-2008 at 07:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

ok, I have an MD-3/F3 but really thought it was the Olympus. Glad to know there are a lot more people than myself wondering about such things.

MD-12 it is (thanks for the nikon trivia link).
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just watched it seventeen times to make sure
    Slow night, Andy??
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin