Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,171   Online: 975

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Weston Master III Question.

My father has just given me a Weston Master III meter in very good condition which seems accurate. Well, it was calibrated recently (1998!).

It comes with the dome for ambient measurement and also with a disc which appears to be a neutral density filter. When this is fitted, the numbers revert back to the same set as when the door is closed and it gives a similar reading to one taken with the door closed.

Can anyone tell me what it is called and what it was used for? i.e. in what circumstances would you use the ND filter instead of the closed door. Different angle of light acceptance perhaps?

Thanks.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's been too long since I've used one of these, but here's a link for the manual (scroll down for the Master III);
    http://www.butkus.org/chinon/flashes...ure_meters.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    My father has just given me a Weston Master III meter in very good condition which seems accurate. Well, it was calibrated recently (1998!).

It comes with the dome for ambient measurement and also with a disc which appears to be a neutral density filter. When this is fitted, the numbers revert back to the same set as when the door is closed and it gives a similar reading to one taken with the door closed.

Can anyone tell me what it is called and what it was used for? i.e. in what circumstances would you use the ND filter instead of the closed door. Different angle of light acceptance perhaps?

Thanks.

Steve.
    You've nearly worked it out for yourself! The incident light attachment (Invercone) will not fit on the meter with the high-range baffle closed, so for a high-range incident reading, you open the baffle, insert the ND filter (which will not stay in place by itself) and fit the Invercone on top. For a low-range incident reading, it's baffle open and Invercone alone with no ND filter. From the Master IV onwards, Weston changed to the more logical and simpler solution of an Invercone that fits either with or without the baffle in place.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Now I have a Weston IV that I got from eBay and is perfectly functional. It did not come with an invercone that I know of. If it is a seperate piece then I didn't get it. If it is integral then I would, in either regard, like to know what it is. Thank you.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Christopher,
    I might have an extra Invercone. It's for a Weston V, IIRC. I suppose it would fit. Anyone know for certain if they are the same size? If they are not, I bet you could get one from Quality Light Metric, in Hollywood, CA.

John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The invercone is a white, sort of cone-shaped, disk which is used for incident readings.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I had seen the Weston Masters referred to as reflected and incident but I didn't see how, guess I'm missing a thing or two. Not that I mind. I love my IV. It's my new workhorse.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just checked a Weston Master II, IV and Euromaster with a two-piece incident light attachment (cone + filter) and the later 1-piece type. Master models up to III need the 2-piece type, which is (just very slightly) smaller than the later type, so will not fit later meters without falling out. Conversely, the later Invercone (a conflation of the words INVERted CONE) will just not push far enough into an earlier meter to lock into place. Note: When removing an Invercone, push it back towards the baffle hinge to release it. If you don't, a small plastic nose on the attachment will become worn and it will not then lock into place.

If you want a Weston for incident light readings, Master IV and later are the best bet, since they have a pointer lock. With earlier models, you need to be able to see the dial at the moment you take a reading, which is a bit limiting.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I do love the reading lock button. It will come in handy when I try some serious self portraiture.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the link and the information.

David, I did suggest to my father that the filter goes on before the invercone but he didn't think it did so we didn't try it. He should have known better as he has probably owned most Weston models.

In the 1960's and 1970's when he was a part time wedding photographer, his main employment was as a central heating designer. The Sangamo Weston representative who visited every six months would always bring him a new meter and take the old one away.

(Sangamo also manufactured central heating timers).

Incidently, I too have a spare invercone for a Weston IV or V if anyone needs one

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 03-06-2008 at 07:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin