Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,568   Online: 862

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It just happens to be a focal length that represents the world with a comfortable amount of perspective, similar to what you'd be normally processing with your eye + brain.

Sure, you can look deep into the distance with your naked eye and see a telephoto perspective on something, or pay attention to your peripheral vision and notice a wide angle effect on your world, but most of the time you're probably scanning and attending to the world from a roughly normal perspective.

Just happens that a film diagonal focal length roughly matches that, I guess.

BTW reading over the first bit of the thread I guess my first response was a bit repetitive. Sorry for that.

Quote Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
    and what makes the format diagonal so special, so normal?

most 50mm SLR lenses are double gauss designs which are retrofocus.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    But but... your human eyes are ultra wide angle lenses, much wider than 50mm for 35mm.

Shooter
    35mm
    But but... your human eyes are ultra wide angle lenses, much wider than 50mm for 35mm.
    Yes, but your attention is focused on a much narrower field of view. Your peripheral vision exists only to attract the attention of your forward looking perception. We have the eyes and perception set up of a carnivorous predator, not a herbivore.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the retrofocus 35mm Distagon actually outperforms the 35mm Biogon, it's just such an amazing lens. maybe retofocus is not so bad after all.
    Totally possible. Again, the essential difference between retrofocus and non-retrofocus design is how far from the film can you put a lens. If someone manages to make a better lens one way or another, I'm not arguing. However, I've seen a lot of rave reviews about the Biogon, but not much about the Distagon, so I don't know more than that.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The original Barnack design camera used a 50mm lens designed for 18X24 & he had a lens made in the same fl with enough coverage for what we now know as "full frame"
    The fl just became a convention & isn't worth worrying about.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin