Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,631   Online: 1109

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Air ionizer: does it work?

Hey folks,

How well do air ionizers work in removing dust from a small 12x13' room? I place my negatives in plastic sleeves, but even during this process, dust seems to attach on to my negatives. I also feel that in the process of removing and inserting negatives into the plastic holders builds up static, which is why dust is highly attracted to the negatives.

So do these air ionizers work?

Thanks,

Jason

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but I bought a small, room size air cleaner and ionizer. My persistent dust problem seems to be under control since I've started using it. I even rigged up a flexible hose from it that pumps filtered air into my home made negative dryer that dries my negs without heat in an hour or so.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Medium Format

de-static machine

Jasonl

Way back [in the 60s], it was possible to buy a wand-like device that had a micro-bit of radio-isotope in it. This would emit a stream of ionized molecules or atoms, which would render the air and objects "sprayed" with it conductive. The conductivity would reduce the static charge, ergo - dust would not stick. They were made to keep negatives free of dust. Perhaps a similar device is still available. I imagine you have really low humidity there, perhaps raising that in your room would help reduce static electricity. [Hang a few wet towels while you work?] Good luck, I follow your exploits with interest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I had a filter once with an ionizer built in. It made the air smell awful and actually gave me mild headaches so i got rid of it.. I have a mechanical filter now and just use and anti-stat brush, seems to work ok..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's been a long time since I bought mine, and the price seems to have increased dramatically (perhaps the $/GBP exchange rate, it's made in the UK), but you might try the Milty Zerostat. I haven't tried it extensively on negatives, as I live in a damp climate, but I would expect it to be very effective on negatives.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Milty-Zerostat-Gun

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks guys, I'll have to do some more research to see if these things really work.

Lee, the Needle Doctor seems interesting! It's a bit pricey though... Maybe they'll have some for sale on eBay!

Jason

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjoo View Post
    Thanks guys, I'll have to do some more research to see if these things really work.

Lee, the Needle Doctor seems interesting! It's a bit pricey though... Maybe they'll have some for sale on eBay!

Jason
    Jason,

The Needle Doctor is a vendor, the product is the Milty Zerostat. Just wanted to clarify that for any searching you do. The price seems to be US$95 to US$100 online at well-known dealers, and the same on the ebay retailers that come up. If you search for prices at froogle.com you can find it for about US$70, but I don't know the vendors in that price range.

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oops, thanks for the clarification Lee.

I can justify spending $100 on an air purifier as it will serve more than just one purpose, but $100 on the Milty Zerostat is a good chunk of pocket change

Jason

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My zerostat does double duty, for both my LP's and scanning negs. Seems like a fair usage of a great product. Of course I bought mine some 20 odd years ago, for a fraction of what the vendors want for them today.

erie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ionizers put out assloads of ozone.

That's probably not good for your film, long-term. Or your lungs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin