Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,379   Online: 750

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

PDA with GPS for Photo Prospecting?

Does anyone here use a PDA to record location data for possible photographs?

As I walk around seeing opportunities I make notes in my head but I've run out of room, or something...

What I'd like to be able to do is to push a single button to record a GPS coordinate, date and time alongside a small digital photo taken with the PDA. The idea is to put it into a database once a week on the PC and record other notes at home while they're still fresh in my mind.

Then I would be able to make some predictions about what time to visit again to get the light I need or to avoid a high tide or whatever. Over years I imagine this could grow into a valuable resource.

Please let me know if you use such a PDA and if you already know of an application that would fit my needs.

Thanks, Matt.

P.S. I am not going to pay $1300 for professional GIS software so I'm thinking of open source applications or very reasonably priced ones.
    Last edited by Matthew Gorringe; 04-04-2008 at 11:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt Gorringe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My GPS [Garmin 60CX?] will let you mark way points. If you carry a cellphone with a camera that could handle the photo bit. Then it's just linking up the two. I guess you could use the time stamp. But the GPS records all the other info you want. At least if I'm understanding you right.

OTOH I noticed the local cell phone company is selling a Samsung phone [I think it's a 780 or something] which includes a GPS and Windows Mobile. It's not cheap but not a lot more then a handheld hiking GPS.

OTOH I'm not a fan of combo units. You tend to get two crappy units shoe horned into one box.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    My GPS [Garmin 60CX?] will let you mark way points. If you carry a cellphone with a camera that could handle the photo bit. Then it's just linking up the two. I guess you could use the time stamp. But the GPS records all the other info you want. At least if I'm understanding you right.

OTOH I noticed the local cell phone company is selling a Samsung phone [I think it's a 780 or something] which includes a GPS and Windows Mobile. It's not cheap but not a lot more then a handheld hiking GPS.

OTOH I'm not a fan of combo units. You tend to get two crappy units shoe horned into one box.
    I use a Garmin Etrex Venture GPS (less than $200 USD)to record site Latitude, Longitude and Elevation and I use a Sony Digital Voice Recorder for note taking. My Zeiss Ikon ZM 35mm RF and a couple of lenses (a 50mm and a 21mm)completes my hiking kit.

I download the relevant topographic maps, etc. from TOPOZONE.com

Cell phone service is usually not available in the places where I hike.
    Last edited by Tom Hoskinson; 04-05-2008 at 12:57 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: forgot the cell phone bit
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I keep a binder with a page for each town in my area. I can write down location and description of prospective sites along with best time of day or weather conditions to return at. Taking a quick snapshot with a digital camera or phone is a good idea. You could print out a small copy and tape it next to the description.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin