Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,525   Online: 856

Thread: Inusrance

Hello All

Does anyone have recomendations on insurance coverage for cameras?

I just purchase a new Canon outfit and would like to have it covered but have no idea who evers that type of insurance.

Thanks for the info.
    It seems the need to focus never arose...
    So something like a swiss army knife, that's my life.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't know the extent of your investment in your outfit or if for that matter you have homeowners insurance. Normally within limitations, of course, photography equipment is covered under the personal property aspect of homeowners insurance. If the extent of the loss exposure is beyond the personal property limitations of such a policy the insurance company can place an additional rider to the policy.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There is an outfit that provides photographic equipment replacement insurance for the Professional Photographers of America. I don't know if PPA membership is a requirement.
    Check out www.ppa.com
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I say check with the company you have your homeowner or renters insurance with if you have any. With some policies you can get a rider where they will replace your equipment for any legitimate reason... including you dropping it!
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    I experienced a burglary some years ago. They got away with a couple of LF lenses among most everything else. My insurance company paid so long as I provided them with a legitimate cost of the items. This was without a rider on my homeowners and the lenses cost a couple of thou.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My kit is covered new for old on my home insurance. I talked to the broker about it and it was sorted with no problems and is not too expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a rider on my home insurance policy as well. I'm not sure but I beleive they take a percentage per thousand $ on the value of the equipment. Your agent would be better able to explain it, but the cost is not all that much.
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need to check with your agent and specifically have him provide information about your options. There are several considerations. First is it covered as a homeowner loss such as fire, storm or theft. Probably so, as long as you can prove the value.

Second, your homeowners policy will not cover a loss away from the premises unless you have a specific rider added. This would include theft from an auto, an auto accident or fire, theft while traveling (luggage stolen).
    Do not assume your auto insurance will pay if it is stolen from your car or the car is stolen with your gear in it. Most auto insurance will not pay for high dollar items left in a car.

Riders on your homeowner policy can cover the above exceptions, as well as other possible causes of damage. Keep records, receipts and photographs of the items as proof of value and condition.

The bottom line with insurance companies is they are not there to cover your loss, they are there to make money for their stockholders. If you don't have specific coverage for the items in writing they will try to get out of paying the claim.

Hey, I just wanted to say thanks for all the responses. I spoke with my Insurance Company that I have my homeowners insurance with and they covered the typical things like theft, fire and the like in the home but not away. They advised me to get an additional policy that attached to the homeowners insurance (no quite a rider) but it covers things like loss, dropping it, theft away from the house.

It a little pricey at $174.00 per year but I beleive it will give me piece of mind on my new equipment.

Thanks again!

JP
    It seems the need to focus never arose...
    So something like a swiss army knife, that's my life.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin