Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,683   Posts: 1,548,531   Online: 883

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Need Mat cutting advice please

I have a mat cutter that cuts up to 11X14 but most of my prints are 11X14 and I want mats that are 16X20 so I am now forced to buy them. I would like to make my own and be able to make larger mats, perhaps even larger than 16X20 if I decide in the future to go larger. What I have is pretty basic so I am wondering if someone could advise on the easiest cutter to use that doesn't cost a mint. How about looking for one on e-bay? What would I look for. Thanks a bunch
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I found my mat cutter on Ebay, new in box, for about half what it was selling for retail. A Logan 650 (I think that's the model number). It was $350 there, as opposed to about $6-700. It can handle up to 40" wide by as long as you want.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    For years I used just the Logan mat cutter itself (the thingy that holds the blade) and a 40" long straight edge. I used the orange-handled clamps to hold the straight edge down to the table.

A Logan big enough for 16x20 is only $125...the 301 model

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_pro...t_id=&pid=2069

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gay, I used to make my own mats aswell using MAPED, and Fletcher matt systems, but got a great tip from a fellow APUG'er about this site www.documounts.com They have really good rates for board, and pre-cut mats. You can also order custom ordered cut outs. They also sell all the tools and materials you would ever need. They are very well priced, and if you have a lot of mats to make, is certainly a good option for consistency.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Moxom View Post
    Gay, I used to make my own mats aswell using MAPED, and Fletcher matt systems, but got a great tip from a fellow APUG'er about this site www.documounts.com They have really good rates for board, and pre-cut mats. You can also order custom ordered cut outs. They also sell all the tools and materials you would ever need. They are very well priced, and if you have a lot of mats to make, is certainly a good option for consistency.
    I have seen these mounts, I believe on the same APUG'er's prints and the edges and corners are razor sharp and perfect..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Gay,
    The Logan Simplex (various models) are reasonably priced and will cut 40" mat board, they come with two cutters (straight and bevelled). If the guide is aligned and the blades are sharp the results will have that professional look. It's easy to adjust, if needed, and the blades are easy to find. I've been using one for 18-20 years.

Paul
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I also have the Logan 301 and like it a lot. Fairly inexpensive and you can also get a video for it that describes int detail how to operate it.

Recommended!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the Logen Simplex Plus 750 that can take up to 40" boards. It's rugged enough for heavy personal use (probably not framer's shop though), and blades are easily obtainable from many sources including AC Moore, and similar art and craft supply chains, and hobby shops.

The only downside I've encountered is that the maximum border is 5.5", and I've sometimes wanted larger for 10" square photographs on 16x20 mats. Otherwise, it's been a terrific machine.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Gay - I'm another advocate of the Logan 301...bought mine when an art store was closing for about $75. Works well for 16x20 mats.
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin