Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,059   Posts: 1,561,594   Online: 713

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have NEVER left my K1000 on top of the VW beetle, driven off & had the camera slide down the back of the car with the strap catching the vertical section of the bumper when leaving a traffic light. Still worked.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Two stories:

A friend bought a new very expensive camera and took it on a rafting/camping trip. He took extraordinary measures to protect it from water and loss into the rapidly moving waters. When the trip was finished, he was taking some final shots on the shore as they took things out of the water.

A friend of his was standing next to him chewing gum and he took the gum out of his mouth to throw it into the water. As he did, his arm caught the camera strap and lobbed camera and gum out into the middle of the stream. There was no possible way to recover the camera.

I was roping down a steep rocky slope with my Nikon 2020 slung behind me. As I hit the rock with my feet, the slippery rocks caused me to lose my footing and the camera bounced around between me and the cliff. I crushed the camera against the cliff nearly breaking a rib and ruining my UV filter, hood and the threads on part of the lens. A good lens wrench gave me enough leverage to remove the fiter and hood as one solid unit and the removal straightened the threads enough on the lens to allow a new filter to be screwed in along with a new hood. The lens, a zoom, has never been quite the same. It binds slightly every time I use it, but it works otherwise.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    I have NEVER left my K1000 on top of the VW beetle, driven off & had the camera slide down the back of the car with the strap catching the vertical section of the bumper when leaving a traffic light. Still worked.
    Not surprised -- both are solid pieces of equipment (VW & K1000)!

I was photographing a mission in Arizona...made a photo (5x7) from a small hill looking down at the mission. Put the camera/pod on my shoulder and walked to the mission. I stopped to look at one part that AA had made an image of and then walked around to the other side of the mission, set up the camera and spent some time under the darkcloth. Decided to take the photo, reached down for my camera pack and it was gone! How could someone steal my pack so easily! My opinion of the human race was dropping fast.

Finally it dawned on me that I had left the pack on that hill...it was there safe and sound, my faith in the human race restored (or at least until a couple years later when all that equipment was stolen out of my truck.)

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I went into a mens room in a park with my new, at the time, Nikon F3 and instead of taking the camera off the tripod I just leaned it up in the corner of the concrete building. As I was turned I heard a whish and it hit the ground running. I had to take it to the shop and have the rewind knob and some electronics replaced. I had that sick to my stomach feeling after it happened. If you live long enough and work enough it's bound to happen eventually. I always think of the guy who lost a complete Hassy system into the Grand Canyon. There wouldn't be anything to look at, you would just have to walk away, wouldn't that be an experience?

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An aquaintance of mine got up early to catch the sun rising over a huge field of sunflowers. He waded into the field and got some great shots. As the light increased he took his camera off the tripod and finished the roll. Turned around.....where's the tripod? Thrashed around for awhile, but couldn't find it in the acres and acres of plants taller than him. Always wondered what happened at harvest time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just in case anyone needs to know, I've already done the testing on the bounce-ability of a Soligor one degree digital spot meter. I tried it on concrete rather than starting on grass or a carpet just for the sake of cutting to the chase. The result? NO....Soligor one degree digital spot meters do not bounce, and cannot be dribbled! I sent the test subject to Richard Ritter who repaired it perfectly. It's now ready for another test, but I've suspended the research indefinitely.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    ok so my mishap..... I Own a sekonic meter i cannot read the mode number any more but it's the cine model so i can use it for both photo work and with my video work. so as the story goes i made the mistake of using it at work one day, we were making a PSA about seat belt use. anyway we were out side in a parking lot with three carts full of gear on a windy day, and an impatient producer. so like an idiot i sit my meter down on a cart and double time the setup to help speed things up. about four or five hours later i remember where the hell is my meter?? in a panic i tear apart our gear looking for it. only to have someone else much later and drop off my meter that they had found in the parking lot. it had been bounced off when we were packing up. it looked pristine before i opened the case to discover it had been run over by a car. to sekonic's credit the meter's only major damage was the lcd screen was shattered. making it unusable.. that reminds me i still have that meter and i need to see if i can get it fixed...

Shooter
    35mm
    Minor by comparison but how about investing in a Jobo, colour paper, analyser and chems for film and print processing then deciding I had wasted a lot of money because no matter what I did all the prints came out red! I checked temps, order of chems, analyser determined filter settings, then altered them and all to no avail. A darkroom is the loneliest place in the world when there is no-one else there to ask and get support from.

Was it all going to go on e-bay at firesale prices after admitting to the wife that I had wasted our precious money? I looked towards heaven without much hope( I'd heard He was a B&W man himself) and as luck would have it, in so doing noticed that the lever keeping the dichroic filters out of the way was still keeping the filters out of the way!

Eureka! As Pythagoras said when he had worked out that right angled triangles don't belong in bathwater. Relieved? I nearly paid my TV licence!

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My mother reminded me recently that my one of my cousins damn near got herself disowned when she left her mom's (my aunt's) Rolleiflex 2.8E sitting on a bench at Disneyland. I think walking away from the Leica 35 f1.4 lens wins, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Years ago I lost my 50mm Zeiss lens, bummer. Two days later I was driving along a rough road and kept hearing banging on the roof of my Jeep. You guessed it. I left it on the roof! Amazingly it was perfectly ok even though it bounced around for two days on my roof without any caps on it. DOH!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin