Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,230   Online: 847

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I seem to have lost my Minox LX. Now why do they make these things so darn small?
    On the other side of the format spectrum, I've stupidly thrown a LF lens into my open backpack a few feet away on the ground when I wanted to throw the pouch for film holders that was in my other hand. Didn't miss, worked fine afterwards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I once dropped a lens cap into the sea - a Hasselblad lens cap, naturally. The very next day was really windy and a second Hasselblad lens cap blew out of my hand and also landed in the sea. Nowhere on the island could sell me a generic replacement so the rest of the trip those two lenses had caps made from cardboard held on with rubber bands to keep the grit off them.

Several years before that I fell on an Andean glacier (having lent my ice axe to someone else, duh) with a Pentax Spotmatic round my neck. I rolled onto my stomach as I rocketed down the ice and got my knife out, unfolded it, and managed to use it to stop myself just short of some rather nasty looking rocks. The camera had a big dent in the top of the pentaprism, but still worked.

Oh, and a couple of years before that I had a bag full of gear fall out of a Land-Rover I was driving at about 50mph over a very bumpy Iraqi desert. Looking in the mirror as I skidded to a halt I could see the bag rolling and bouncing behind me. One of the bodies metered about a stop and a half too low afterwards but everything else was fine.

I suppose I've been lucky

Peter

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

lens cap?? Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by Bandicoot View Post
    - a Hasselblad lens cap, naturally.

Peter
    I've lost many Nikon lens caps over the years - watched them float off down rivers, bounce down cliffs, or just noticed they were gone after a scramble over rough or brushy ground.
    The one Hasselblad lens cap that I've lost was not my fault. I put it down inside my open camera bag (right beside me) as I prepared for my shot and a crow swooped down, grabbed it and flew off into the trees.
    If anyone finds a Hassy lens cap in/near Heather Campsite at the end of Lake Cowichan, it's mine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    I've lost many Nikon lens caps over the years - watched them float off down rivers, bounce down cliffs, or just noticed they were gone after a scramble over rough or brushy ground.
    The one Hasselblad lens cap that I've lost was not my fault. I put it down inside my open camera bag (right beside me) as I prepared for my shot and a crow swooped down, grabbed it and flew off into the trees.
    If anyone finds a Hassy lens cap in/near Heather Campsite at the end of Lake Cowichan, it's mine.
    Sly:

A crow with really good taste .

Hope the snow this weekend didn't cause too much trouble for you.

Matt

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Power outage, cold house, plans to work in garden scrapped. Otherwise, just another weekend in paradise. The snow's about half melted now.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I have read of many many cameras being sucked into the slipstream during aerial photography...(which means bye-bye camera)...you know what it feels like to stick your hand out the window of a car at highway speed, so I guess it must be far worse to stick a camera out the window of an airplane (you know, the open type of plane used for aerial photography, for the benefit of those who can't figure out how to open the window in Boeing and Airbus types).
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery View Post
    I have read of many many cameras being sucked into the slipstream during aerial photography...(which means bye-bye camera)...you know what it feels like to stick your hand out the window of a car at highway speed, so I guess it must be far worse to stick a camera out the window of an airplane (you know, the open type of plane used for aerial photography, for the benefit of those who can't figure out how to open the window in Boeing and Airbus types).
    When I did aerial photography, it was usually in an old Piper Cub or similar small plane that was capable of circling at relatively low speeds around the target area, doing maybe 40 knots. At that speed the slipstream was not too strong. I kept the camera on a neckstrap, or in the case of a Linhof 220 that I sometime used, a wrist strap. Never dropped one. I also kept my seatbelt fastened!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Let's see...

A 200mm lens once insolently jumped out of my photo vest near the top of Mt. Thielson in Oregon. It rolled about 200 yards down the scree slope till it was retrieved by an alert hiker behind me. He returned it with a few dings and a loose front element. Got that tightened up and it still works fine.

I left a bag full of Nikon stuff on top of my car and drove off. It hit the pavement; I did not even notice. Some moments later, some jerk comes racing up behind me honking and flashing his light. What an idiot, I though. Only when he pulled alongside and showed me my camera bag through the window did I sheepishly pull over and thank him profusely. Luckily, no damage other than a dinged filter ring on one lens.

After a strenuous hike in the Eureka dunes in Death Valley, I returned to the car as it was getting dark. Set my tripod on the ground, stowed my 4x5 and filmholders and pulled a well-deserved beer out of the cooler. Only the next morning did I notice that my tripod was not in the car. I returned to the location, but no luck. Fortunately, I had a spare with me and managed to find a cheap used replacement at a camera store in Las Vegas. I still have that one.

My spot meter also jumped out of my vest pocket once and hit the ground hard enough to kill it. Quality Light Metrics to the rescue in that case (where you should send you meter if it won't work properly...). That ended that trip though. Now I carry a spare Pentax spot meter with me.

I've managed to only dump over a couple of 4x5 cameras. Luckily, nothing but cosmetic damage. One dousing with a "sneaker wave" was thwarted by my quick-thinking wife and beautiful assistant, who threw her windbreaker over the camera. We both got soaked.

I feel guilty of polluting the environment for the number of lens caps I have "littered" down canyons, in rivers, etc.

Not so bad for 25 years of photography though.

Best,

Doremus Scudder

www.DoremusScudder.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I accidentally hit the release thing on my tripod, and my pentax crashed on the floor.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Took a nice hike and bike with my Pentax 6x7 and light meter out to a secluded waterfall in a national park. Climbed out next to the waterfall as far as I could. Setup a tripod, took a meter reading with my Minolta meter and then somehow dropped it into the creek. Kind of ruined that outing. It floated in a pool by the waterfall for a couple minutes until a finally got a stick and retrieved it. I took out the batteries immediately and took it apart when I got home to let it dry. The meter readings have been just a little off ever since.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin