Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,483   Posts: 1,571,184   Online: 1125

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Bugs found on negatives, living in camera.

I noticed on a few prints that there were some bugs, checked the negatives and they were on them too. I presume these insects are living in one or more of my cameras, but I cant understand why they are in focus. Surely they should be well out of focus? Any ideas how to get rid of them?

Cheers

Ritchie

Shooter
    35mm
    Sounds like you have camera lice.

When they are small enough and crawling on the film plane, they would be in focus, or very nearly so. Put the camera in a plastic bag and put it in a freezer overnight. Bring it back up to room temp before you take it out of the bag, and then blow out the camera body.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 04-22-2008 at 08:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The digital shooters have to worry about bugs. Apparently now we have to too.

I had a shutter in a Fed 3a that was stuck. I found out that an insect got stuck inside it (a decent-sized one - no idea how it got there) and had caused the curtains to stick together. Ugh.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I wonder how Brady and his bunch photographed with wet plates during the Civil War...seeing how there were thousands of horses and mules and probably a thousand flies for each one of them!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If freezing doesn't do it, try the old trapper's trick. Put the camera in a garbage bag, give the bag a good shot of Raid and tie it shut. Give it about an hour, open the bag, and whatever was alive when you tied it shut is dead. Trappers do this to kill the lice before skinning.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I had a spider living in the bellows of my enlarger for a while. It really confounded me because he would move in and out of the picture. It took me a while to figure out where he was.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am sure if you put your infect equipment under not too hot sun, th bug would escape
    I was born and brought up in Iran, a beautiful country full of history.
    k o m b i z z

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I wonder how Brady and his bunch photographed with wet plates during the Civil War...seeing how there were thousands of horses and mules and probably a thousand flies for each one of them!

Vaughn
    That's easy- between the ether and the alcohol, any bugs getting near the collodion would get asphyxiated/intoxicated/poisoned by the fumes.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    That's easy- between the ether and the alcohol, any bugs getting near the collodion would get asphyxiated/intoxicated/poisoned by the fumes.
    I did not think of that! Which means the photographers ran the danger of dropping like flies, too...

But since the plates were still a bit sticky (I assume) when used, one would have to chase the flies out of the camera before loading it. Must have been "fun"! But I don't remember seeing any Civil way images with the sillioette of flies on them!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I did not think of that! Which means the photographers ran the danger of dropping like flies, too...

But since the plates were still a bit sticky (I assume) when used, one would have to chase the flies out of the camera before loading it. Must have been "fun"! But I don't remember seeing any Civil way images with the sillioette of flies on them!

Vaughn
    No, that was when they used gaseous mercury to develop their plates. . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin