Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,682   Posts: 1,548,524   Online: 877

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Best Camera Bag for Hand Luggage Flight Travel

To all you seasoned travelling photographers out there.

I've been searching for some time now, for "the perfect" (does it ever exist?) camera bag for on board flight travel. I'm travelling quite a bit and more so as time goes by. I find Pelican heavy and cumbersome, Lowepro bulky and backpacky... I'm after a versatile camera bag on wheels that's as big as possible for carry-on hand luggage.

So far I've looked at: Jill-e; Pelican; Lowepro; ThinkTank Photo.

Which camera bags do you recommend for air travel?

Best wishes,
    Nicole

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I travel/fly a lot with an LF camera + lenses as well as a 6x17 plus 5x4 &120 film and actually find a small backpack is the best option. I've never found a camera bag that's flexible enough.

There are cases similar to the Pelican available for normal use, I'd buy one that meets the carry one allowance and adapt it with my own internal section. Your problem is that not all countries/airports allow the same size carry on baggage. The UK seems to be the tightest at the moment.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What cameras etc will you be carrying in your hand luggage? That will help for recommendations.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Ian. I believe the smallest allowable width is only 8".

I travel with a 120mm Pentax & Blad and a 35mm body. Total of 4 lenses for entire kit. Due to my ankle problems since the accident I've had to strip back my camera gear. = Much better! My film takes up more space than my cameras.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I usually carry my Crumpler Fux Deluxe (the largest size, now replaced by something similar with a different clever name), but that doesn't have wheels.

The Think Tank cases have gotten very good reviews. I'd also look at Tenba and Lightware for an airworthy wheeled case. They both make things that are rugged and lightweight for air travel and shipping. Our Tenba Port-Air cases for the Traveling Portfolios are holding up very well, one after at least 50 shippings I figure, and I've used a Tenba TTP 34 case for checking my tripod for years, and it's always protected the contents well, even after flying off a baggage truck onto the tarmac as I watched from the windows at the gate. One of the seams is just starting to separate after ten years or so. I have a wheeled Lightware case for my light stands and accessories, and it hasn't seen as much abuse as the other cases yet, but it seems very well designed and made.

If you make it to New York on your upcoming North American tour, why not buy a new case at B&H, so you can check them out in person?
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 04-29-2008 at 09:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was able to bring a Peli Protector 1550 case onto a flight. It was the perfect size for UK baggage restrictions. They didn't check the weight.

The maximum size for items of hand luggage is 56cm x 45cm x 25cm per bag. However, airlines apply their own operational policies governing the number of items of hand baggage which may be taken in to the aircraft cabin.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyo...rportsecurity/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nicole, as your going to Europe/America I wouldn't carry too much film, order it from one of the APUG sponsors for delivery to where you'll be. That will save you a lot of space. I sometimes take a dev tank & chemicals and process where I'm staying, so I can carry films back already processed. You'll have access to processing facilities.

The UK BAA baggage restrictions are currently 56cm 22" Tall, 45cm 17.7" Wide and 25cm 10" deep, they were revised a couple of months ago, plus a laptop bag, useful for more film.

It sounds like you should easily be able to fit everything in a reasonable sized carry-on case.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gary I have the 1560, great case and I love the wheels, but 1" too high for carry-on luggage. I need wheels. David I'll be needing Tenba for the exhibition prints packaging, thank you. Ian, I agree. I'll be sourcing locally film and developing at each stopover. I've had to add Duesseldorf, Germany, in the last couple of days as my first stopover, then Paris, Toronto and Michigan before heading home.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have not used one myself, but have heard good things about Porter Cases. They make airline legal sizes. http://www.portercase.com

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    I have the 1560, great case and I love the wheels, but 1" too high for carry-on luggage. I need wheels. ...
    Nicole:

I have a 1510 "in transit" as I write. It is supposed to be the largest Pelican with wheels that is carry-on size. I'll let you know how it works out when it arrives. I hope to get a Mamiya RB, 4 lenses, 3 backs, prism, spot meter, and all the assorted do-dads in it; plus have room for film. :o

We'll see ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin