Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,413   Online: 1115

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm around 100km from toronto.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What about Henry's, what have they got?

Here's what you do, invite some apuggers to meet you at a nearby Tim Hortons and ask them to bring some gear for you to play with. Depending on your charm, you may go home with something for a while.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format

You need more than a body

(advice to ghosts?)

I bought a RB67 body from KEH and it was in pristine condition. It was to replace another battered one on which a lens had become impossible to remove and everything was jammed. The tech had followed my instruction and disabled the body to save the lens.

Thus I had the waist level finder (and a chimney finder), the rotating back, a couple of magazines and a selection of lenses and extension tubes, but not a functional box to hang them onto.

So... a body is a body: accurately described by KEH, in superb condition, but certainly stripped down and not very useful without whatever extra parts of the "system" that you are prepared to buy, or have already.

My FAVOURITE camera!

I hope this helps, regards - Ross

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    What about Henry's, what have they got?

Here's what you do, invite some apuggers to meet you at a nearby Tim Hortons and ask them to bring some gear for you to play with. Depending on your charm, you may go home with something for a while.
    Henry's here only has 35mm.

Ross, how much would a system be with 1 body, 1 lens, and a back?

I'm thinking of going to 35mm as I can bulk load then, and save a lot of money.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    ...how much would a system be with 1 body, 1 lens, and a back?....
    Anywhere from $296 to $898

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    Henry's here only has 35mm.

Ross, how much would a system be with 1 body, 1 lens, and a back?

I'm thinking of going to 35mm as I can bulk load then, and save a lot of money.
    You might want to try the APUG classifieds:

http://www.apug.org/classifieds/show...p?product=6574

Standard not affiliated, etc. etc. comment.

Matt

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Tim Hortons
    Get em sloppy on donuts and who knows wht you will get.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    RBs are great for close work since they have bellows and a quick exposure compensation nomograph on the side of the camera. Easy to use.

But the choice really depends upon what one wants to do with the camera. Keep your eyes on Craigslist too. Deals come up there.

C

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Marko, I use RB and something simillar to F5, that is I use Canon EOS3. In previous times, when I carrying camera aroud and snapping on this and that, I used EOS3. Now, I bought Bessa R2A for carrying around, and almost all other photography I do with RB. RB is camera for slow work, that is setting a tripod, metering with handheld meter, and thinking whow and why you photographing that subject.

What I want to say, both cameras are good, but thing is in approach. There are different philosophical approch for using those cameras. Are you fast moving, automated photographer, or slow, contemplative, manual working photographer. Answer on that question is answer on question which of those cameras to get.

When I was younger fast moving photographer excited with automatization I used EOS3. With years I changed as person, became relaxed, and now my EOS3 is in bag using now and then (for example I plan trip to Jordan later this year, and I will carry EOS3, not RB, weight and space reasons), and my RB is in full use.

Whatever you decide, good luck.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    In terms of image quality for color photography, the RB67 will spank the Nikon F5, but it's a mechanical camera more comparable to the Nikon F or F2 or FM. Mamiya lenses are excellent.

For B&W photography, you can already get extremely high quality from 35mm (with slow speed microfilms) so there is not much point in moving up in format. In that case I would get the F5 and invest in some manual focus lenses like the Zeiss ZF series. Actually I would get the Fm3a, but that's another story.

With the RB67 you can shoot from the hip, which I thought was pretty cool. If you want to save money buy a "broken" Nikon FG on the bay for $10. I always buy the broken ones and 100% of the time they are not broken, the seller simply did not know how to operate the camera.
    Last edited by cotdt; 05-01-2008 at 04:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin