Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,567   Posts: 1,573,486   Online: 758

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

RB67 or Nikon F5 for a student?

I looked on KEH.com today, and a RB67 body in good condition was only $200!

I'm wondering if I should get one, or a Nikon F5.

I don't have a MF enlarger lens or neg carrier for my Beselar 67. It can handle the neg if I had them though.

What do you guys think?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    They are *totally* different tools. But if you are seriously debating which one and don't plan to do handheld sports.... rb for sure.

Don't need a neg carrier, you can make yourself one. Or just make contacts until you get one.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    rb.

Don't need a neg carrier, you can make yourself one. Or just make contacts until you get one.
    What about the enlarger lens though?

EDIT, Added: And I can't bulk load MF, so it would get expensive.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Also, the lenses for the RB67 are very expensive. $400 for a normal lens!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would go with the F5.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    Also, the lenses for the RB67 are very expensive. $400 for a normal lens!
    First of all, like Keith said, they are totally different.

Second, $400 gets you the 90mm KL lens in EX+ condition. You don't have to spend anywhere near that amount of money to get a superb lens. My 90mm C Lens (bought in BGN condition) looked almost new when I bought. For less than $100.

RB67 gear is ridiculously cheap. I bought all of my RB67 gear from KEH for less than $1000. That includes a body, metered prism, 2 film backs and 65mm, 90mm and 180mm lenses (all C lenses)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah, $400 is inexpensive for some of the rb lenses in Ex condition. But you may as well get a kit, with the 90mm or 127mm lens. Get a full working kit.

Bear in mind that with the rb you can shoot many different formats- 120/220 in 645, 6x7 and 6x8, and sheet film (3.25x2.25), fuji instant film, and even 4x5 sheets if you don't mind wasting the film. The lenses are very good and produce results that are credible versus LF.

I think you have to step back and ask yourself what your longer term intentions are. The rb is a weapon for macro and normal and wide, and the shooting style is quite different from 35mm. The F5 is a weapon for rapid fire normal/tele photojournalism, a totally different beast that can take much, much faster and longer lenses and VR zooms and whatnot.

Just based on capabilities, you simply cannot compare them point by point, they are totally different tools. So you have to ask yourself what you want to do. If you're thinking of getting into MF then the rb is a very versatile and affordable way to do that.

N.b. in my own opinion, the F5s are now overpriced. Some years ago when the F6 came out, I sold my F5 and traded 'down' to an F100 because I wanted a smaller/lighter camera with similar capabilities and optional grip. I remember going to b&h and looking at the prices and marvelling with a clerk there at how the F5s were still costing almost as much as the freaking brand new F6! Obviously different people place different values on their F5. I definitely wouldn't dog the F5, I just... couldn't justify it's heft for my own 35mm needs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Keith, the F5s range from $350 in BGN to $500 in LN condition on Keh.com

Do you think that is too much for a F5?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For ~$500-800, personally, I would seek an fm3a or one of the earlier incarnations which are far less costly. I personally have no use for a big auto everything camera with so much battery dependence and mechanical intricacy. If I were a sports enthusiast I would have kept the F5, but I'm not...

It all comes down to your shooting style and intentions. The F5 may well be the tool for you, only you can determine that. N.b KEH will give you 7 days to try it out. Why not have them send you a few cameras and keep your fave. Maybe the bargain F5 would be perfect, who knows...

Images
    No shooting on the fly with an Rb. Remember that.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin