Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,694   Posts: 1,482,483   Online: 962

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

which filters, once again

Cokin, Lee, B+W or...?
    I'm looking for filters for use with B&W film (ocasionally color) and I'm considering Polarizer, colored- and IR filters.
    they will be used on wides-normals in 52,62,67,82mm diameters (I haven't decided on the teles yet).
    Kind regards
    Last edited by Soeren; 05-13-2008 at 10:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the Cokin filter holders on SLR and view cameras, even if they are a bit fiddly to work with. They won't block the viewfinder as they can with rangefinder and TLR cameras. The Cokin filters aren't bad, but they are made of plastic and scratch easily. That's not a problem though if you source the filters from another manufacturer selling same sized filters made of glass. If you decide on the Cokin system, I'd suggest you look at the Cokin P series which accomodates lenses with filter rings sized 48 to 82 mm. Lens hoods are always a good idea to cut down of flare. Cokin sells accessory lens hoods that fit the filter holder. Quite good, and they help a lot.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another Cokin filter user here, mine are over 20 years old and still fine and scratch free. The P series fit all my lenses except my 165mm Super Angulon so they are very versatile.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    B&W,Heliopan or Hoya. I've got some Kodak gels I picked up. But for somebody with my butter fingers I like the glass filters better.

The Heliopans seem the best built but they are also the most expensive. The Hoyas are likely the best for price/performance.

I'd consider some good step up rings. I've got basically three sets of filters. 58mm is used on 58mm and smaller. 67mm and 82mm. The 67mm is the most complete set and I've got step rings all the way down to my smallest lenses for this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did some math on Lee vs B+W filters with an IR filter, 82mm thread and Robert White vs Fotomayr prices as an example
    The B+W filter where slightly cheaper but was glass instead of the polyester offered by Lee. Most of the adapter rings in the Lee system are more expensive than B+W but the colored filters are cheaper when talking big threads. When it comes to the Polarizer its a draw depending on what youre after. My concern then is the quality, versatility and usability. Any on used the Lee filters?
    Kind regards

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote for the Cokin P series type. My Cokin ones aren't scratched either - I always store them in the hard cases they came in. I gave up on step rings when I went from 55 to 58 to 67 to 72. Luckily, that happened before I bought all those filters in every size.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A vote for Lee. I use them all the time with my Pentax 67II outfit. I use 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9 ND Hard Grad's, yellow, orange, red and full ND's (but not all at once!). They're pricey but a good investment, reasonably resistant to scratches. The mounting system works fine.

I don't use a polarizer though, and seem to remember an issue with using polarizers and the Lee mounting system. Maybe Lee have solved this by bringing out their own polarizer?

IR wise - It depends on what 'strength' of IR filter you're looking for as Lee only make a few, none in resin if I remember correctly? I've just ordered a Heliopan IR screw-in filter with stepping rings for my lenses.

Whatever you decide, I've had bad experience with Hoya filters. Bad workmanship - coatings coming off uv filters with little use, soft threads etc.

Hope this info helps,
    Gavin
    Last edited by coigach; 05-15-2008 at 01:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are the system (Lee, Hitech and Cokin) compatible with each other?

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren View Post
    Are the system (Lee, Hitech and Cokin) compatible with each other?
    I use a Cokin holder with Hitech filters and a Lee hood, all "for Cokin P".
    The Hitech filters fit a little more tightly in the holder than do the Cokin filters but it works.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I also use Lee filters, even for IR work. I didn't know the Cokin P series actually went up to 82 mm. I use a linear polarizer. I can't tell from the OP what sort of camera is being used.
    Diane

Halak 41

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin