Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,710   Posts: 1,548,634   Online: 1120

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    To get the best results from ISO 25 film, one should use a tripod if at all practical. Then high filter factors usually become unimportant. The old rule of thumb about shutter speeds and focal lengths is fine for those more concerned with following the rules than with making the best possible photographs. Big prints from slow film and fine lenses demonstrate the fallacy of such rules and of DOF charts. Also, with black and white photography, bracket your exposures until you know from experience what exposure index works best for you.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I find the effect of yellow filters not strong enough and I've never gotten a picture I like through a red filter, so I've settled on an orange filter for general use.

Specifically, after trying the B+W 041 filter, I liked the results so much that I bought that same filter in sizes for (almost) all my cameras. B+W calls it "red-orange "; it just looks orange to me.

It's a 4x (two-stop) filter, which makes calculating exposure pretty easy. The fact that I typically have XP2 film in the camera means that I've got enough film speed to (usually) be able to hand hold, if I choose to. The 041 is the only filter I carry, so the only filter decision I'm faced with is whether or not to use it.

Regards,

Gary,
    East Snook, TX

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been trying to bracket, but my camera seems to hate me. It has an auto-bracket function...which doesn't seem to work. I've got a Nikon F100. I, however, don't think that this is the place to troubleshoot such a matter.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    And bear in mind that if you meter with the filter in front of the lens it might not be the MOST reliable as, for example, a red filter will not block red light but block blues and greens so the light reflecting from local areas of your subject area will be affected in different ways. Learn to take this into account.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin