Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,413   Online: 974

Shooter
    Medium Format

Recommendation for tripod and head

I have a Manfrotto 725b digi which I quite like. However, the tripod head isn't strong enough for my current equipment. I use the tripod primarily for my hasselblad and (don't kill me) Canon 5D w/ grip and some longer lenses. The head obviously isn't built for such a heavy camera, and it slips which is annoying.

What I want is a tripod with a head strong enough for these cameras, but doesn't weigh a ton! I'd also like a built in level (something with the manfrotto lacks). Any recommendations?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A friend of mine has a Berlebach Report tripod that works really well. In due time I will buy one for myself.

Take a look at http://www.berlebach.de/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a Berlebach report (8023 I think) for my LF Camera, which is absolutely fine (but the camera isn't that heavy as it is a Tachihara).

In 35 mm, I successfully use a Manfrotto 055 with 141 RC head. It's not exactly light, has no nuilt-in level, but is really up to the job with my EOS-3 + BPE2 + Sigma 300 mm.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I asked a similar question not too long ago. Here's the thread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/4...ation-4x5.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look at the Feisol tripods and Markins heads if those are within your budget. You could get a setup under 1.5 kgs that can comfortably hold your gear.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by dfoo View Post

....What I want is a tripod with a head strong enough for these cameras, but doesn't weigh a ton! I'd also like a built in level (something with the manfrotto lacks). Any recommendations?
    Acratech ball heads are rated for 25 lb loads and weight about 1 lb - that's hard to beat. I recommend one w/rubberized knobs. I have one that can hold my RB with any lens, focusing rails or whatever, in any position. (no built in level).
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have Manfrotto 055 nature and 029 head, I use it with Mamiya RB and it is more than enough for the job. I think it can hold even 8x10 camera... It is heavy. For EOS3 I use Slik 500DX pro (weight 2,5 kg), my Manfrotto combo is not for carrying it around
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bogen 3033 is my favorite "smallish" but "good" tripod. They are not the easiest to find, but I feel that they are worth the search due to the quick action of the simultaneous expansion of the legs from the center column, as opposed to the 3021. I also find them to be wonderfully lightweight considering how well built they are. I wish I had not sold mine. I also wish that the 3050 had the same quick-expanding legs. This is the only thing I do not like about the 3050.

The 3047 head has never caused me to complain or to wish I had something different; ever. They are sturdy, easily found, inexpensive, and can handle many times the weight of the equipment you mentioned. I personally dislike ballheads (and think they are crazily overpriced), but I suppose they might be useful to some.

I would buy used. I would never buy a new tripod. They lose so much value once originally purchased that it is disgusting...but good for buyers. Very little ever goes wrong with them as well; the good ones, anyhow.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin