Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,979   Online: 859

Shooter
    Multi Format

Heliopan filters: Single or double coated?

Hi all,

I'm considering getting a few Heliopan filters. Just the usual suspects for black&white - medium yellow, orange, red.

Heliopan makes two ranges of filters: single and double coated. The price difference is substantial - double coated are almost 3x the price of single coated.

In your opinion, are the double coated filters worth the extra spend?

Thanks
    Søren

"We are much more likely to act our way into a new way of thinking than think our way into a new way of acting." - R. Pascale

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Søren

I have a mix of single and multi coated filters from Heliopan. And I have noticed a small difference if I point the lens and filter into the sun or another brigth light, where the single coated filter showed a little more reflections. Otherwise I haven't noticed any difference.
    But despite the small difference, the new filters I am buying, are the multicoated type.

Try to check-out the price of the filters here FotoMayr. The price of the multicoated filters at FotoMayr are "only" 1.5 to 2 times the price of the single coated.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Søren,

I agree with Tom: I have a mixture and find the multicoated better in direct light. As a personal preference I often shoot into the sun, so find it worth paying the extra. At Retrophotographic they are also 1.5 - 2x the price of the single coated.

cheers
    Pete

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank Tom & Pete!
    I checked fotomayr.de, and they/he sure are/is a lot cheaper than fotoimpex (where I got the first set of Heliopan prices from).

Seems like fotomayr asks EUR35.95 for the same filter that fotoimpex wants EUR86.33 for. I was looking at a 60mm double coated yellow filter. I wonder if fotoimpex have their prices right - the difference, both to the single coated filter and to fotomayr's prices seems too high.
    Søren

"We are much more likely to act our way into a new way of thinking than think our way into a new way of acting." - R. Pascale

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kvistgaard View Post
    ...Seems like fotomayr asks EUR35.95 for the same filter that fotoimpex wants EUR86.33 for....
    WOW! Insane price difference!!! I guess it isn't filters Fotoimpex makes their money on

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you should use multi- coated filters on multi-coated lenses, but it all depends on how critical you are and how deep your pockets are. The profit margin that retailers make on accessory s are huge much more than on Cameras and lenses.
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin