Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,981   Online: 794

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Die Cutting = cutting using a die. In this case the "die" is a thick piece of metal with a raised ridge. The ridge is sharp and represents the outline to be cut. Line up the die over the piece to cut, whack it with a hammer (or use a press) and there you go. Die cut.

The Wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_cut) has lots and lots of detail on other applications of dies (and stamps) but mostly in relation to metal working.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, thanks all for explaining "die cutting", I understand what you all mean, but than going back to the picture, isn't the man in the front right doing die cutting than, instead of applying curviture? Because he's sitting in an awful lot of cut pieces of paper.

And I still wonder what the man I described sitting to the back is using, and what exactly the kind of instrument is that the girls on the right are using, that Mark described as "Girls on the right pasting the prints to the card", are they holding some big brush with glue on it??? They seem to have some wooden frame within which they apply their "tool", whatever it is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It looks like the man behind the boy is using some kind of guillotine cutter.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, that was what I initially was thinking too, wonder exactly what he's cutting?

I find this woman fascinating too. What is she doing? She seems to be operating some kind of device with her right uplifted hand, unfortunately the details are lost in the bad copy... and behind the front guys back. Anyone ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails woman_with_uplifted_hand.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    I find this woman fascinating too. What is she doing?
    The Times simplex crossword puzzle?

Síle
    Síle

If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Síle View Post
    The Times simplex crossword puzzle?

Síle
    Well, since the New York Times was founded in 1851, you may be right!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Times

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    Yes, that was what I initially was thinking too, wonder exactly what he's cutting?

I find this woman fascinating too. What is she doing? She seems to be operating some kind of device with her right uplifted hand, unfortunately the details are lost in the bad copy... and behind the front guys back. Anyone ideas?
    marco

the machine looks a lot like a small rolling machine
    http://www.aboutbookbinding.com/binding2.html
    it is kind of like one of those things that allows you to put pasta dough
    though it to make it flat and thin, or like an old fashioned
    clothes ringer... but for paper ...

my sort of educated guess ( i do book binding ) is that after
    the photographs were dried, the views were cut from the sheet 2 by 2
    ( guy with the guillotine cutter ) then they were given to the fellow in front
    on the right to be die cut + trimmed. they were marked D/G ( droit et gauche - right / left )
    so they would actually work 3-D ( other way around they wouldn't )
    and then carefully pasted by the people behind the die cutter -guy.
    the lady in the middle ( that is holding something up ) might
    be inspecting the cards before they go into the rolling machine to make sure
    everything is "just right" before the glue sets
    ( since the photos / paper can still be moved around a bit when the glue is still wet ).
    after her careful inspection the glued cards were put in the wooden cases
    to apply pressure until they were nearly dry
    ( back to back, face to face with parchment or wax paper between facing cards so the glue didn't stick them together) ...
    then each set-card was passed through the rolling press to get a tight bond, and make sure
    they were totally glued down with no air pockets.
    paper can not be rolling pressed ( or heavy weight pressed, or pressed in a nipping press )
    when still wet, they will warp ( because of the moisture content in the board ) ... so "stuff" has to be almost dry ...

just a guess.

john
    Last edited by jnanian; 06-04-2008 at 01:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John, you may be right about the woman actually inspecting the cards instead of operating something. The copy is bad, but I now realize she may indeed be holding a card with glued on photos, which would be the white piece protruding from her hand than. Your suggestion would also be consistent with the visible pile of cards in front of her.

Images
    This is fun. Go get another photo for us to explore.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    This is fun. Go get another photo for us to explore.
    Well Mark, it's not that you stumble upon these kind of photos on a daily basis... :o That's exactly the reason I posted here, since I found it so intriguing.

However, come to think of it, it might be a good idea if Sean created a new forum type for these kind of questions. I regularly see other posts with similar questions, most of whom do not entirely "fit" into the other forum types as well. I too had trouble deciding where to drop the question, hence it ended up in the generic "Miscellaneous"

Maybe Sean could create something like a:

"Analyze This!"

or

"Analyze This (Historic) Photo"

or maybe even better:

"The Photo Detective Forum"

Users could than post (historic) pictures there that they know very little about but want to know more about. So questions like:

- Who might have created the photo?
    - Where might the photo have been taken?
    - What are the subjects doing in the photo (like mine)?
    - What were the machines, tools, buildings visible in the photo historically used for?
    - What techniques were used to create the photo or a certain effect in the photo.
    - What camera, film type... etc.

Might make for some interesting new discussions. A kind of "speculative" forum, where people could freely drop any thoughts (whether informed or wholly speculative) about the photo...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin