Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,926   Posts: 1,522,129   Online: 885

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll keep that in mind, thanks.
    I've been avoiding filters up to know simply because I have so many lenses and they're all different diameters (and filters can be expensive.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Step-up rings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IloveTLRs View Post
    Tell me more, stranger ...
    There are plenty of basic guides around that show the effect of coloured filters on black and white tonal range. Red filters may be great for dramatic skies but can kill most shadow detail as it is blue reflected light that is also often illuminating the shadows. Many dramatic high contrast sand dune images exploit this effect. Experiment and bracket to learn. Try no filter then a yellow, orange and red filter on a landscape scene and make your best print of each. Very instructive. They can be very powerful if thought through for the right scene understanding the pros and cons.

http://www.cokin.co.uk/pages/pdf.htm (page 9 of the 100 page guide)
    http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/ti...tografie_e.htm

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by IloveTLRs View Post
    I just bought a beater Ricohflex VI the other day and it came with a yellow filter. I've noticed a lot of my photos looking nicer and am starting to wonder if I should use filters more often....
    I think you answered your own question.

What filters work best depends on the film your using. I shoot Tri-X and Plus-X with a yellow filter, almost always. I don't like the no filter look; light skin looks darker than it should, clouds are missing much detail and a blue sky will look pale.

Edward Weston found that photographing in Death Valley, CA was best without the yellow filter because of the color of the landscape - there was probably a lot of yellow in the scene that was filtered out by the yellow filter.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by panastasia View Post
    there was probably a lot of yellow in the scene that was filtered out by the yellow filter.
    A yellow filter would not filter out yellow. It would reduce the transmission of everything but yellow.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin