Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,190   Online: 1226
      
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36
  1. #1
    Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    New Zealand
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    8,564
    Blog Entries
    7
    Images
    15

    Adorama used lens ratings, anyone have experience with them?

    I'm looking at a used lens with a "D" rating

    N = New Comes complete as packed by manufacturer with warranty except where noted.
    D = Demo Demonstration condition almost like new, might show very light use.
    E+=Excellent + Very clean
    E = Excellent Shows normal wear, might have minor scratches, glass clean.
    E - = Excellent - Average wear, may have small marks but no brassing
    V = Very Good Shows heavier wear, works mechanically fine
    G = Good Shows extra heavy use wear, glass might have scratches, usable

    F = Fair

    I'm likely to purchase it I just hope it really is a "D"..

  2. #2
    David A. Goldfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    17,322
    Images
    20
    I'd probably trust them on something in "D" condition.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

  3. #3
    david b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    None of your business
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    4,034
    Images
    30
    I will be in NYC a week from Monday. I can check it out for you if you want. Let me know.

  4. #4
    Curt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,553
    Images
    15
    I've not bought with a "D" rating but have bought two lenses in the last few months, one an enlarging lens and the other for the RB67. They both had the "E" rating and were extremely clean. The glass is perfect on both. I used Paypal and the first time it took a couple of weeks to go through, I had never had that happen before. Every time I checked it was in "Pending" state. The second time it went right through, maybe it's fraud protection. I am completely satisfied with both purchases.

    The KEH purchases were not so nice, a tripod head had a bent handle and was roughed up and a lens was very well used by the Miami Herald, as inscribed. You know that a newspaper would used the equipment intensely. In all fairness though if you don't go Excellent or better you just don't know what it will be like. When they say RB back it doesn't mean it will have a dark slide, which most would assume it would have.

    So Adorama gets my vote.

    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

  5. #5
    Curt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,553
    Images
    15
    I will be in NYC a week from Monday. I can check it out for you if you want. Let me know
    That's the ultimate in evaluation!
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

  6. #6
    HelenOster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    109

    Adorama

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I'm looking at a used lens with a "D" rating

    N = New Comes complete as packed by manufacturer with warranty except where noted.
    D = Demo Demonstration condition almost like new, might show very light use.
    E+=Excellent + Very clean
    E = Excellent Shows normal wear, might have minor scratches, glass clean.
    E - = Excellent - Average wear, may have small marks but no brassing
    V = Very Good Shows heavier wear, works mechanically fine
    G = Good Shows extra heavy use wear, glass might have scratches, usable

    F = Fair

    I'm likely to purchase it I just hope it really is a "D"..

    Dear Sean

    Hopefully you'll be completely happy with your lens, but if you have any concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me directly: helen.oster@adoramacamera.com

    Sincerely

    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

  7. #7
    Gatsby1923's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Holyoke, MA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    243
    Images
    63
    I know a lot of people who don't like Adorama for whatever reason. I have found them to be as good as any retailer of that size. I have also bought a few pieces of used equipment there over the years and have found them to be well represented. They even CLA'd my Leica IIIC before sending it to me. On the other hand (since Adorama is obviously listening) you need to do a better job packing things. Throwing a glass thermometer in a padded envelope for example is a bad idea.
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.
    Carl Sandburg

  8. #8
    HelenOster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatsby1923 View Post
    I know a lot of people who don't like Adorama for whatever reason. I have found them to be as good as any retailer of that size. I have also bought a few pieces of used equipment there over the years and have found them to be well represented. They even CLA'd my Leica IIIC before sending it to me. On the other hand (since Adorama is obviously listening) you need to do a better job packing things. Throwing a glass thermometer in a padded envelope for example is a bad idea.
    Have you got your order number handy, so we can check who packed it?

    Helen

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,020
    Images
    3
    I've bought a bunch of stuff from Adorama over the years, both used and refurbished. The refurbished page is really hard to find so I keep it bookmarked - here's the link

    The last used item I bought was a Canon 300mm f4L in EX-. Glass is pristine. Body has a lot of little scuffs and chips in the paints. Works great - I've had it for around a year and a half. I also bought a Canon 50mm in EX-. Again, pristine glass and scuffs on the body and works fine - had that one for around 3 years.

    In refurb, I've bought Canon's 100mm f2.8 maco and 580EX flash. I've had the lens for almots a year and the flash longer than that with no problems with either.

    I've also bought used from KEH - last was a Canon 2x TC in EX+. I'd have called it LN.

    In general, I think Adorama's ratings are very fair in terms of glass but only fair to slightly optimistic in terms of cosmetics (but I still buy used from them) and KEH's tend to be very fair to pesimistic (as in, it'll be better than they say)

    Dan

  10. #10
    David A. Goldfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    17,322
    Images
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
    Dear Sean

    Hopefully you'll be completely happy with your lens, but if you have any concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me directly: helen.oster@adoramacamera.com

    Sincerely

    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    Welcome to APUG, and thanks for participating!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin