Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,951   Posts: 1,585,984   Online: 845

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Using a 2-prong projector in North America

Apparently I have the best landlords in the world, because not only may I get the use of a Hasselblad (currently on loan to the landlady's uncle) But I was mentioning that I had taken some slides of her garden and she gave me a projector she had laying around, a Reflecta Diamator AF. She bought it new in Hong Kong 8 years ago and had never used it. After thanking her profusely I went and read the manual, everything seemed normal. Thankfully it has a voltage switch for 220, 130, 240, and 110. I'm pretty sure 110 is the usual North American household standard so I have it set to that. Going to plug it in, I discover that the plug is a 2 prong, and after a bit of googling I think it is a standard European plug.

My question is, to get it to run properly would I need to find some sort of prong adapter without the voltage adapter bit? I'm thinking I may have a hard time finding a Europlug-NEMA 5-15 adapter in North America, but since Nanaimo has a large population of immigrants and students from Asia this may be easier than I think. Also, despite the voltage switch can I expect any problems providing I have the appropriate adapter?

I've never heard of Reflecta before, and it seems to be a normal consumer-grade projector but if anyone can provide more information I'd be very appreciative. If it helps the lens is labelled Agomar 1:2.8 90mm MC, Made in Germany. Is there a standard mount for projector lenses (this is a tube with a single spiral groove in it) so that I can purchase a better lens if need be, or would I have to find something specific to Reflecta?

Thanks, as always, for the help!
    Last edited by Removed Account; 06-26-2008 at 04:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Radio Shack has adaptors for almost all countries. Unfortunately, they come in one blister pack of about 5 or so and the cost is therefore higher than desired.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Radio shack Canada is now the Source. A true waste of a name and a shop.

Plug adapters are pretty common. If the unit handles 110V then that's all you need. If you want to drive to Toronto I can tell you the place to buy one -) About $2 for a pair. One North America to Europe. One going the other way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Justin:

I'm smiling as I type this.

You may find that London Drugs has (or can order) some adapters - try the shaver department or the camera department.

Matt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The source has individual adaptors. they cost about $10 bucks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did she give it to you? Have the plug cut off and a new one put on?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yup Matt, got one I'm going to do a trial run tonight, I just have to find some sort of screen. I've got some pre-stretched 16x20 canvas I can paint over in Titanium White for a mini-screen in the meantime. Nick, are you referring to Pacific Mall or the videostore of questionable legitimacy at Highway 7 and Woodbine? :P

Shooter
    4x5 Format

projector screen

just a white sheet make a good screen. Pat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Silber View Post
    Nick, are you referring to Pacific Mall or the videostore of questionable legitimacy at Highway 7 and Woodbine? :P
    Nah it's a chain of surplus and new shop. Some of the stuff is way overpriced but little things like plug adapters are easy to find and reasonable.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin