Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,817   Online: 1159

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

New Slide user question, Re Reflecta Diamator AF

I've been having trouble figuring out this slide projector I was given, a Relfecta Diamator AF. After sorting out the two-prong plug issue I don't seem to be loading the slide tray properly. It's a straight tray labelled AGFA CS System. The few slides I already have are set in normal plastic slide mount. If I just set them in the tray they wobble out of place and jam when changing slides. There are some formations on the bottom of the tray that seem to be there to grip the slide mount, but it's a pretty tight fit and in my photographic experience forcing things is not a good idea. It's not much force, but enough to make me think I'm doing something wrong. Does this tray require special slide mounts? If so, would another "normal" straight tray fit the projector? It may not be the biggest deal since I am planning on using Gepe anti-newton glass mounts on the slides I get developed from now on, so if I can find ones that fit that'll be fine.

Thanks for helping me on this little adventure everyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I understand that you've tried using ordinary, thick, non-CS mounts in a CS tray. Consider yourself lucky if you haven't damaged the tray, the projector or both. CS trays are made only for CS mounts, no exception. No type of glass mount fits into CS trays. For thick mounts you need ordinary what-are-they-called trays, which work fine with CS mounts as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by frdrx View Post
    I understand that you've tried using ordinary, thick, non-CS mounts in a CS tray. Consider yourself lucky if you haven't damaged the tray, the projector or both. CS trays are made only for CS mounts, no exception. No type of glass mount fits into CS trays. For thick mounts you need ordinary what-are-they-called trays, which work fine with CS mounts as well.
    That's correct.
    I believe that CS mounts were first introduced by Agfa (not sure, but I think Reflecta took over their projector manufacturing at some point?)...the idea was that they were thinner and neater than the older designs, and, in particular, had slots which held the mounts firmly in the special CS trays so that they didn't fall out if the tray was dropped or inverted.
    As said above, CS mounts will work in ordinary trays and projectors. Conversely, I think that ordinary trays should fit your projector, just check carefully to avoid any damage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just to add a little more to the previous answer, before using your projector with a standard tray, make sure you set the projector accordingly. It may not be the case with your model, but some (most?) projectors need to have a lever or something on the slide changing arm in the right position, otherwise you risk jamming or even damaging it or the slides. Just follow the instructions or study the projector and think before you turn it on.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    For what it's worth, my projector is a Reflecta AF (not sure if the exact same model as yours) and you can use either CS trays or 'regular' trays at will, without needing to change any settings/levers.

As others have mentioned of course, only CS slide mounts can go in a CS tray (putting CS mounts in a normal tray is absolutely fine of course.) I mount all my slides in glassless CS mounts now - I just wish I had some more CS trays.

(The CS mount & tray system is, in my opinion, superb. For a start, it takes half as much space as regular - i.e. a CS tray which can take 100 slides is the same size as a regular one which takes 50 - and the slides are locked into the tray so they can't fall out when you accidentally knock your pile of slide trays over... It only takes one evening crawling around on the floor picking up slides and trying to work out which tray and which order they go in before you realise that's a great feature .)
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Wow! Thanks for all the responses! I don't seem to have damaged anything or than one of the litttle "grip" tabs on the CS tray. I can still load slides one-by-one through the little widget on top of the projector. A bit more sleuthing and it appears that normal trays will work fine in this without any modification. Now to track one down locally... I may try and find some CS mounts too just to give it a shot.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    I believe that CS mounts were first introduced by Agfa (not sure, but I think Reflecta took over their projector manufacturing at some point?)
    Reflecta took over the Agfa projector plant in Portugal and their model range in 1984. By this adding projectors to their allready existing photographic range.
    Projectors designed by Agfa (aside of their very own successors) were on offer by Reflecta until a few years ago.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got a question on this model/family of models myself:

Via a lid it gives access to the motor-spindle. And there are even arrows indicating the direction of rotation.

Why would one need such access?

(As even in case of mains outage or similar the typical manual override to the slide transport allows removal of the slide from the projector, and plain rotating of that spindle would not affect the slide transport anyway.)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin