Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,593   Posts: 1,546,092   Online: 912

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    From what I understand caffenol/folgernol negatives are stained brown-ish - my guess is your software saw brown (as opposed to greyscale) and assumed it was in colour and tried to compensate accordingly.

I have had similar issues occasionally with files scanned from green-tinted XP2 or Chinese B&W C-41 film - the software assumes it is in colour because it's green, and sometimes odd tints/compensation can result until a B&W/greyscale conversion happens.
    hey mabman

the film stain is
    brownish from the caffenol + bromide
    2 or 3 frames on the entire 72 frame roll
    got the colorized treatment ...

thanks!
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    my guess is that you have something of a minor split tone going on... there will ALWAYS be some degree of that, however minor. I used to do that with Polaroid 55 neg film... print it on color paper - and you'd get a lovely subtle split... auto leveling HEAVILY magnifies any subtlety of effect...

Q: you don't do any fancy stuff with curves when you invert the neg scan? I've found that I've had to do some really crazy non-linear curvage when trying to actually mimic a traditional print. Meaning - a straight inversion can't really capture the tonality of a print. I guess what's actually going on is mimicking the characteristic curve of the paper/dev combo...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John,
    I have a scan of an old glass plate that came out surprisingly well toned in color though it was a silver emulsion. The computer makes stuff up, it's as simple as that. Another reason not to trust 'em.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin