Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,928   Online: 1013

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Interesting thread! I made my camera bag. I needed something more compact for traveling with my 4x5 monorail, so this bag is made to fit my camera with a minimum of bulk. The exterior is cotton canvas and has been waterproofed. The interior is blue nylon fabric. There are D-rings on the sides for a shoulder strap or backpack harness. The walls and dividers are made of corrugated plastic with 1/8" foam glued to both sides for padding. The compartment for the camera has an extra layer of 3/4" foam padding on the bottom and one side. The bottom of the bag has two layers of corrugated plastic glued together for extra strength. The bag is amazingly lightweight; it's contents are not!

Contained within:

A Horseman LE 4x5 monorail camera, 150mm f/5.6 Schneider lens (on camera), Nikon 90mm f/4.5, bag bellows, notebook and pencil in front pouch of camera bag, six 4x5 film holders, focusing cloth, two 6x12 roll film backs (one for color, the other black and white) reflected light meter with case, red filter, polarizer and filter step up/down rings (in spare filter case) two-stop graduated neutral density filter with filter holder and blue soft homemade filter pouch, cable release and finally a 8x loupe for critical focusing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cam-bag.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Danny, that bag is simply gorgeous!
    I am sure you would have quite a business if you made for others professionally!
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great thread Ari. And very interesting contributions from the rest of you. Im on the outlook for some bags to fit my 35mm gear, Pentax 6X7 and my Sinar Norma 13X18cmm so it is very good to see some real life solutions.
    Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

S°ren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Pelican case/backpack/maybe a little 8x10 shaving kit bag that unzips all the way and folds out etc
    I carry the pelican case mostly. If I need to carry everything I keep in the case why transfer it to something else? This floats and can take a beating.
    If just camera, lens or two and 4x5 holders and things ..backpack
    35mm/small camera ..backpack and maybe the shave kit organizer thing

If I'm taking 4x5, one lens and film holders
    I keep the 4x5 on the tripod and little organizer/backpack to hold film

My best tip
    I always stretch a winter beanie hat over the 4x5 so that it's protected from trees and snow etc
    I pack lenses in padded golf club covers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Spence View Post
    Interesting thread! I made my camera bag.
    Hee, hee! I can't show it here now, but back when I had a beautiful 1930-ish Agfa Ansco 8x10, I used an old ice chest as a camera bag (case?). I think it was a Coleman ice chest that was missing its lid; I wrapped the folded 8x10 in an old blanket, and it fit perfectly inside the chest. Sometimes I would throw another old blanket over the top to cover everything and hide the fact that it might be worth stealing. Three 8x10 filmholders also fit inside.

It served me well, but lacked the sophistication of your approach...
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never found the ideal camera bag, and over the years have had many, of various shapes and sizes, I am to camera bags what my wife is to shoes, one lesson I've learned is that you can always carry less in a larger one than more in a smaller one,(if that makes sense)
    Ben

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin