Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,467   Online: 957

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

My Camera, its Bag and Accessories that fit in

You could take this thread as being part of the "... portraits" series of people showing off their equipment. This really though isn't about bragging.

This thread is about showing your bag, backpack or any other means of transporting your gear, along with your camera(s) and any accessories that fit it. Its about helping people make choices when they are looking for bags for their equipment. A photograph can be indeed a thousand words.

So, I start with my Rolleiflex traveling bag and all the accessories and things that fit in. Its a tight fit in the end, but quite comfortable and ready for anything that can come in my way on the street or on a voyage.

tags: Medium Format, MF, bag, Rolleiflex
    Last edited by arigram; 06-28-2008 at 08:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A tale of two bags

Well, Aristoteles, you made me clean out my bags! Here are two of them halfway between ex- and implosion.

The Hasselca bag, a LowePro Slingshot 200:

As you can see, it takes a Hasselblad with two lenses, a Leica with five lenses, a Sekonic spotmeter and various bric-a-brac.
    If I get a wide angle lens for the Hasselblad, it will take up the space of the Leica in the backpack and that will go into a belt pouch. Faster to hand this way!

And here's the soul-crushing 8x10 backpack, a Kelty from RPT:

Top pocket and laptop bag for film holders opened:

There's a carpenter's laser bubble level (the beast has none, and you can focus on the laser line projected on your subject in low light), an Olympus voice recorder for notes, the same Sekonic spotmeter, a viewing frame, the essential rocket duster, some filters and my large 20 diopter loupe. Not to forget the film holders in the laptop bag strapped to the side of the backpack.
    Main compartment opened, gravity magnet Calumet C1 with bubble wrap ground glass protector, 165 mm Super Angulon on the camera not visible, 450 Fujinon lens in RPT box, fill flash wrapped in black T-shirt (serves as darkcloth):

That backpack can be converted to 4x5 transportation with a few more RPT boxes but doesn't get any lighter in the process. The Wolff wood tripod with Gitzo low profile head is slung over the shoulder on a strap like a rifle.

Now I've outed myself as a packrat!
    Christoph

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Speaking of Hasselblad...

The indestructible Peli 1510 case holds my Hasselblad equipment while at the studio. I never had to move the whole lot at once, but if I wanted to, it has all the conveniences of carry on luggage and it can even be taken in an airplane. Or used to be able to, I can't keep track of the stupid regulations anymore.

It fits:
    503CW with Winder, 501CM, three A12 backs, three medium sized lenses (40,120,180) and a small lens (80), PolaPlus back and a Pro Shade. Other accessories such as macro tubes and filters are kept in another case.

When I am carrying the Hasselblad with me, I have three choices:

The Billingham 335:

It fits one body (with winder or back attached), two lenses, a large lightmeter, a Metz 45 CL-4 flash and all kinds of accessories and film.

The Lowepro Mini Trekker AW:

Which fits one Body with back attached, two extra A12 backs, all four lenses, Sekonic L-558 lightmeter, proshade, a Manfrotto tripod on the back and all other accessories and film.

The Hama Charley:

It was my very first bag and has been my street and travel bag when I want to carry a 501CM with 2.8/80 lens, an A12 back, Lightmeter, some small accessories and a good amount of film.

I now use it mostly to story and carry my Metz 45 CL-4 and all its accessories:
    Last edited by arigram; 06-28-2008 at 05:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also find , that no one bag is ideal for carrying my gear, and over the years have accumulated five or six going from a very large Billingham 550 to a small Hama Caddy, which is the one I use the most, it holds a Canon F1 and T90 body a FD 35-70 and FD70-150 zoom in a very small space I find this a versatile combination for walking around photography, for more serious work I tend to use prime lenses and a Billingham 335.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    note to self: must clean camera bags soon!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here's my Lowepro Pro Roller 1 bag packed for my NYC trip.

What's in it?
    -Hasselblad 503cw with PM45 prism and 60mm CFI lens
    -Hasselblad 150mm CFI lens
    -Pentax Digital Spot Meter
    -Minolta Autometer IV
    -26 rolls of Fuji Acros 100
    -Rollei Flash
    -WLF
    -and strap, caps, and cable release

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails camerabag.jpg  
    Last edited by david b; 06-29-2008 at 11:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    where can I find the Hama Charley. I've scoured the internet but have not found one.

Can you leave the prism on the camera when using that bag?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    where can I find the Hama Charley. I've scoured the internet but have not found one.

Can you leave the prism on the camera when using that bag?
    I bought the bag at a local photo store, because it was there, it was really cheap and fit the Hasselblad kit I had at the time perfectly. I really don't know how to help you, as it could well be out of production, even years before I bought it. But I am sure there are other designs like this one.
    One thing to note, is that inside the top cover, it has a mesh, that is really useful for accessories or 9-10 120 rolls. But it has no external pockets and that has always being its serious drawback.
    It could well fit the Hasselblad with the prism on as it has plenty of space on the top. As a matter of fact, let me measure it for you.
    The space above the 501CM, to the top of the cover looks to be about 10cm, without anything in the mesh.
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ari:

Great thread. And really effective photos illustrating it.

I was thinking I'd try to contribute, but am faced with the question: "which camera and which bag should I show?"

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I was thinking I'd try to contribute, but am faced with the question: "which camera and which bag should I show?"
    All of them! Or at least the different formats (e.g. 4x5 field, etc).
    Don't have to be all at once.
    But as you see, it really helps to illustrate which bag fits what.
    www.arigram.gr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin