Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,159   Online: 1079

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Is it safe? Is it safe?

Not the movie Marathon Man (1976) Directed by John Schlesinger. With Dustin Hoffman, Laurence Olivier but camera gear stored at home.

It's hot, too hot for the gear or it's too cold or it's too humid, what ever the case, the proper storage of cameras and lenses can halt fungus and keep seals from prematurely melting.

I'm looking of a storage safe, like a gun type safe that can prevent theft and save the gear in a fire and of course fluctuating temperature and humidity.

If you have one can you share the details with us, if you have another idea can you share that information also?

Thanks,
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I thought of like a reverse cigar humidor and went and did a quick search
    Seems in Japan they sell drawer type things that have controllable temp and probably humidity

"Dry cabinet"?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    http://www.gd-huitong.com/en/index.asp

pretty nice

guy says you can make use of an old fridge and lightbulb on a timer or something ..no plug in of cooling aspect

I thought fridges kept humidity low but then cold storage may be worse than warm storage
    Anyway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It's hard to imagine that your home fluctuates so wildly in temperature and humidity! A gun safe is a great idea and you can custom outfit them with shelves and whatnot to hold things in the best way. They won't control humidity, but unless you're keeping that gun safe on the back porch or in the fruit cellar, the temp/humidty levels should not be enough to worry about.

I've carried my camera gear all over the hot Middle East, humid Ireland, cold Russia, and not it's all sitting in wet Ethiopia, and I've never had any storage issues in 25 years of travel.
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ask Jim Galli about the safe he stores his treasures, not to be confused with trade goods, in. But this is for protection from fire and theft, not heat and humidity. Come to think of it, I doubt he has humidity problems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First line of defense: never become too attached to material goods. They are not that important.
    Second: buy good insurance.
    Third: install a burglar alarm, with a monitoring system.

In addition to the above, I store my equipment in a closet in my darkroom, which has a dehumidifier to keep it dry and an air conditioner to keep it cool. I don't have to worry about heat.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin