Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,598   Online: 1094

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    Just FYI
    Thank you so much! This is very helpful! I'll put a list in "Classifieds" as soon as I have it all together.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Film for Dummies

Quote Originally Posted by asrafferty View Post
    If you have no patience with idiot spouses who have freezers full of film, no idea what it is, and the need to sort "the good" from "the bad" and "the ugly," please stop reading now... also, I'll ask the mods to put this where it belongs if not here.

I'm starting to sort through all Ted's film in preparation for selling it,
    Amy
    Amy -

I think here at "Dummies who want film" , i.e. APUG is a wonderful way to deal with the inventory.

And I hope that the flood of memories that come with cleaning and sorting through all these things are more good than bad.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rwyoung View Post
    Amy -

I think here at "Dummies who want film" , i.e. APUG is a wonderful way to deal with the inventory.

And I hope that the flood of memories that come with cleaning and sorting through all these things are more good than bad.
    Thank you... even months later there's a bit of horror at the thought of letting anything out of his studio... but it's only a reflex, and there's nothing more important than getting his things where they will be used and loved.

And, of course, I'm not losing a mountain of film; I'm gaining a freezer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Amy, let's start with a disclaimer: I'm not likely to be interested in any of it. That out of the way, what you should know about cold-storage of film is "speed counts." Lower temperatures retard chemical aging, but there's a certain amount of background cosmic radiation that fogs film over time regardless. The higher an outdated film's ISO speed rating, the more fog possible.

So, if you find Agfapan APX 25 or Kodachrome 25 that's been in a freezer since purchased fresh, it will likely be good as new. And, since both of those are prized, discontinued products, they'll command high prices. Conversely, something like Delta 3200 or TMAX 3200, both of which are still sold, will probably exhibit a fair amount of fog if much past date, and therefore might not fetch as much. I've heard that Kodak stores its TMAX 3200 in an abandoned salt mine while awaiting distribution, since many thousands of feet of earth is the only way to shield from cosmic radiation -- lead doesn't work.

All the above must be tempered with an understanding that the market seems to value certain discontinued emulsions highly almost regardless of condition. For example, I'd reverse my "not interested" position if you found any quantity of 120 or 4x5 Panatomic X.

Sorry you have to do this. It would be much better if the original purchaser got to use that film, but I don't know any way to change things, so please stay as strong as you've appeared to be thus far.

Best regards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you, Sal! There are several rolls marked "120", but I have yet to get the list together... all Kodak and Fuji. I've just written Sean asking about the cost of a subscription to APUG so I can put that list in the Classified section when it's together (I wasn't able to find the cost anywhere in the info on subscribing, but I'm sure it's here somewhere!).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even OLD film, long out of date, which has lost speed, is still very useful.

I shoot LOTS of Royal Pan, a Kodak 400 film, that went out of date in 1995. It had not been kept cold in the store,
    and I bought it (yes, cheaply) after it was out of date. It has a useful speed of 50, requires normal processing, is not troubled by fog, and makes exquisite pictures if I do my part. It still agrees with the old Kodak curve, it is just slower.

So you can count - in the worst case - that the freezer and fridge hold useful stuff for the pickiest of photographers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you... glad to know it and will get this together and posted soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin