Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,222   Online: 682

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Somehow this reminded me of a local millionaire who grounded his boat (nice, new, 42ft, 700 Hp engine) on a rock, and admitted he'd been too busy looking at the sunbathing girls to keep an eye on the GPS.

My reaction was that if he really thought looking at the GPS is the way to avoid collisions or groundings, he shouldn't be allowed to drive a boat...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Assuming cell phones don't work in your mountains (I'm sure they don't) either you could look at getting a satellite phone. They are much cheaper nowadays ($250 for phone then 9.95/month for the plan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by areaeleven View Post
    Murray of the north,

I believe what yer looking for is this:

http://www.findmespot.ca/en/

The SPOT Satellite Messenger. Pretty neat. I might get one for myself as I tend to go way into the backcountry without telling anyone as well. Unlike you I haven't grown up yet

Hope that helps. Stay safe!

c.

Very cool, Chris. The 80 year old skier who got lost last winter in the Highlands could have used one of these gadgets.

Which means I should probably have one for every day...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I love you guys

http://www.findmespot.ca/en/explores...ex.php?cid=113

That's exactly what I had in mind!!!!!!!!

Murray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Somehow this reminded me of a local millionaire who grounded his boat (nice, new, 42ft, 700 Hp engine) on a rock, and admitted he'd been too busy looking at the sunbathing girls to keep an eye on the GPS.

My reaction was that if he really thought looking at the GPS is the way to avoid collisions or groundings, he shouldn't be allowed to drive a boat...
    "Wat wee hav heeeer, iz uh fay-lyur to co-moon-i-cate"

My wife and I did a six month sea kayak trip along BC's coast before GPS and satellite phones, using old fashioned deck mounted compasses and charts instead. We took line of sight hand held marine radios for emergencies, but never had to use them. I also have hundreds of solo hiking trips under my belt in trail-less forests and mountain valleys which may get less than ten human visitors a year. This isn't for me, it's for my wife's peace of mind.

There's been many times when I've told her I'll be heading up creek 'A', but when I get there creek 'B' looks way more interesting...my choice then is to either go up creek 'B' and risk it, or hike back to the car and drive back towards town far enough that the phone will work so she knows where I'm really going. Did you read the OP? Do you think I want to put her through that sort of thing again?

To add a new wrinkle our daughter is turning seven this summer and has the bush legs of a young moose. No kidding - just yesterday she half ran and hiked behind fourteen and ten year old boys for half a day and didn't break a sweat Our horizons are expanding faster than my wife's comfort level will allow, but she doesn't want to see us stagnate in town either. Me-thinks sometimes techno-devices can free us up instead of shackling us.

Murray
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 07-17-2008 at 12:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Murray Minchin;

Yup, as others have mentioned the SPOT is what you were describing. I first saw it while attending the SARCENE2007 Canadian National Search and Rescue Conference in Victoria, Vancouver Island, British Columbia last October. It does seem to work. The US Coast Guard in the Pacific Northwest is also adapting a SPOT system for tracking the search patterns of their SAR aircraft, having had the concept demonstrated using an amateur radio system. I should have some information on the results of their trials later this summer.

As someone who is active in SAR, at this time I can only suggest a satellite telephone system as the most versatile with the best coverage for someone going about in the bush. The per minute talking time charge is something that you will feel, but it is effective. The cost of the device has dropped below $ 1000 in the last year or so for the Globalstar unit, and you do need to have batteries or a charging system. While not as versatile, yes, the SPOT is certainly worth considering for only $ 150 plus the $ 100 per year service fee. The new personal EPIRB type devices are also a possiblity at about $ 600, but they need to be registered, and they should be set off only in time of a true life threatening emergency.

Well, we are talking about devices for a photographer going into a wilderness area, so I think that this is not a subject that is "off topic."

Enjoy;

Ralph Javins

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Focusing on the thread title, isn't this a better "electronic hiking device?"

http://www.bostondynamics.com/conten...section=BigDog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Spot is very cool but only an 406 EPIRB has true world wide coverage. a Globalstar phone is the same. you need Iridium for gloabal voice anywhere in the world. the good news is :for les than $1000 you can get a hand held mapping gps and a GPS\EPIRB. Thats cheap when you are talking about saving your butt!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an ankle device which helps the police keep track of me.

PM me for details on how to get one.
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    I have an ankle device which helps the police keep track of me.

PM me for details on how to get one.

:-) :-) :-) !!!
    Great.
    G.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin