Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,410   Online: 1112

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

High School Kids need photo gear

Hi Folks
    moderators please move to right area if wrong.

Elevator has just donated Enlarger (8x10 Deveere and 4x5 Omega) sink and misc. darkroom equipment and as well Epson 7600 and 9600.

The school is Georges Vanier Secondary School in Toronto and I met the instructor of the photo program and visited his school. His space and program is impressive , but as in most locations the budgets are very small. But what they lack they make up with in talent and effort.

Anyone here with a good heart and some excessive gear (analogue and digital) cameras , lights, materials paper and film, darkroom and lightroom gear that would work with the above and willing to donate to a very good cause , give me a email and I will forward. bob@elevatordigital.ca.

Any duplicate gear is then forwarded by this teacher to other high school programs that will put some of this stuff in willing and eager hands.

Shooter
    Large Format
    First and foremost on behalf of Georges Vanier Secondary School, I'd like to come out and thank Bob for his donation to our school. I am the teacher he's talking about. As a high school teacher, there is some risk that I am revealing who I am via online communities but at this moment, I just do not care. We are incredibly honored and privileged to have Bob's support. Bob, your donations will be transformative, and no one will appreciate these things more than the students.

Georges Vanier is a very special place. On one hand it is a place where art is flourishing: Home to the Program2Art digital/classical art programme, we have some of the brightest and best students in the Toronto Board. However we also are located in one of the most economically depressed areas of Toronto. Most all of our students are displaced. A visit to my classroom on any given day can reveal a Afghani student who only has his mother to support him, a student who fled Iran with his father after security forces almost killed him, a Syrian girl, who has barely seen a computer let alone used one, a Japanese student who can barely speak English, a rough and tumble student from Ghana, a large goofy softly spoken Chinese Canadian student, A brilliant student from Ukraine who is fantastic at both physics and the arts, and any number of Chinese exchange students of different dialects. Most of our students cannot afford to visit a pro-lab, let alone own any of the equipment that we have received, which is what makes this special.

In this confluence of different identities that make up Georges Vanier, there is unmistakable creative energy, thirst for knowledge, and drive to perform. Our students are fantastic, and landing what amounts to an art imaging studio upon them is truly unprecedented. I simply can't wait for their eyes to bug out in September when they see what we've received.

Thank you Bob, all I can think is: What a way to tell our students: "This is the way we do things here; welcome to Toronto."

Victor Samou Wong

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't donate anything at this time (I'm up to my a__ in trying to get my own program going again after a year away) but I just wanted to say how important donations are to a program like this. Much of what I have been able to accomplish in my own program has been, in large part, due to the charity and interest of others. One unintended but very important side effect of equipment donations has been the way that it gives credence to the program. My headmaster has been much more supportive of the traditional darkroom after a donation of good equipment happens - it somehow makes him understand that people think this stuff is important, so he better back it.

Best of luck,
    Whitey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Victor,

Can you make use of a 4x5 camera? I have a Linhof Technica and some outdated Ilford film which I can send to Bob for you. Please let me know.

Good luck with your programme.

Fintan

Shooter
    Large Format
    That would be utterly fantastic!
    Thank you kindly.

I am frankly, staggered by all of this, because much of it, when bought new, actually sums to more than the amount I get per semester in budget!

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine isnt new Victor, far from it but its very useable and will give you a nice big negative for Bob's enlargers. I'm delighted to support this and I will arrange to ship it to Bob in about a weeks time.

Does anyone have some 4x5 film holders to donate?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I actually have already donated some of my personal holders, so no need.. Although if someone does send them I will offer them to other schools within the Toronto District School Board.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by victorw View Post
    I actually have already donated some of my personal holders, so no need.. Although if someone does send them I will offer them to other schools within the Toronto District School Board.
    Excellent you are all set for some LF so.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Wouldn't know about ALL set up. Previous to this I was loaning students my old Combat Graphic, but gritting my teeth because the camera was a personal one and if it were damaged, the school would not replace. Combat graphic, not speed graphic! It was also somewhat imprecise and the movements were somewhat problematic. Another thing that would be problematic is that the students wouldn't take it out because they were worried about breaking my personal property. The Linhof would become the school 4x5 which would be amazing because it's bombproof and because it would be school property. Signing it out would then be less of an issue.
    Last edited by victorw; 08-10-2008 at 08:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have nothing personally but I know a few photographers. I'll see if I can round something up for ya.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin