Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,116   Online: 847

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bolex anyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdunek View Post
    This brings back good memories for me too! My H8 and all the accessories are still in the case in a closet. I even pull it out and look at it once in a while. What a precision machine!
    I went to video when processing became so expensive, but video is not the same as film.
    My Dad started taking 8mm movies when 8mm first came out - 1938 I think. I continued. We have family movies all the way to 1989, and then videos since. All the movies are edited with titles and on 400 ft reels. Special events, like trips, are on their own reels. We show movies at family get-togethers sometimes. They sure look good up on the big screen (70X70).
    Maybe I should try some B&W. I have a splitter that uses a razor blade in a guide. I've never used it, so I don't know how accurate it is.
    I owned my first H8 non-rex for many years and never used it because at the time B&W reversal processing (not super8) was not easily available (in the 80s). Now there are a number of places that will do it. Things are actually better now than when I was a P&C major.

Prep Film is actually located in Michigan. You should shoot some B&W reversal, you don't know how long this renaissance will last.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Prep Film is actually located in Michigan. You should shoot some B&W reversal, you don't know how long this renaissance will last.
    that guy is great, isn't he?

john

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have owned Bolex equipment since I was about 8. I am now 57....so almost 50 years. At one time I did commercial filming..for local ad agencies, TV commercials, industrial films, etc. The Bolex 16mm equipment represented extremely good "bang for the buck", being much less expensive than Arriflex and Eclair. I have had Bolex 8mm, still have a Bolex Super8, I have one of those very nice Bolex splicers, and a Bolex 18-5 standard 8mm projector, and in the last few years finally acquired one of the Bolex 16mm magnetic/optical sound projectors. I have always loved Bolex.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Beautiful camera! I don't think I'll ever get into shooting cine film, but why don't you guys set up a group in the group area?
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan
    but why don't you guys set up a group in the group area?
    Good idea!
    Who wants to start it? I'm happy to unless anyone else is particularly keen to do it instead.
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might want to do a search on the same topic on APUG.

We ruminated over that a while back and, despite the enthusiasm, decided that since the majority of post production has gone d*gital, it would be practically impossible to keep that element from creeping in to conversations and running contrary to APUG policy.

I guess if you could keep it strictly to photochemical, cinematography, self or lab processing, workprinting, editing and projection, it would meet the APUG posting criteria, but that would be very difficult in this day and age.

Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino View Post
    You might want to do a search on the same topic on APUG.

We ruminated over that a while back and, despite the enthusiasm, decided that since the majority of post production has gone d*gital, it would be practically impossible to keep that element from creeping in to conversations and running contrary to APUG policy.

I guess if you could keep it strictly to photochemical, cinematography, self or lab processing, workprinting, editing and projection, it would meet the APUG posting criteria, but that would be very difficult in this day and age.

Good luck.
    Could be I'm one of the few who does this 100% in the analog domain. I'll post some pictures of the Bolex 8mm projector. It is a marvel of machined and cast aluminum. I don't know of a super8 projector ever made with the same quality and precision.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is another one. This is a later model with the square base. It is either Rex-4 or Rex-5 (the H8s don't seem to exactly correspond to the H16 nomenclature).

This has a fully functional EE exposure meter (again thanks to the zinc cells!).

Also, thanks to SK Grimes for the adapter for the common Wide Angle converter. Without the converter, the lens is 8 mm to 35 mm. With the WA converter it goes from 4mm to 17mm.

In terms of the front filter adapter, not only are Bolex lenses front threads pitched different than common filters, the size is a skipped by manufactures of adapters and filters. I presume because it is s "SERIES" size.

Although the externals of this camera are similar to the earlier one, most of the inner components are different in the newer one. I do believe that many of the internal components of this one ARE shared with the contemporary H16 Rex5 that may still be in production.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wonderful cameras in all gauges...

I don't mean to be discouraging; just keep it analog!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    How funny you guys are having this discussion now. I got back to work today and someone had left a Bolex K2 on my chair. I don't know if it works yet but it looks cool and I'm game to try it out.

Alan.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin