Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,334   Online: 1077

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bolex anyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I stand corrected!

Good luck with your project.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino View Post
    I stand corrected!

Good luck with your project.
    Oh I'm just having a little fun. Although I do enjoy Antonioni quite a bit. I remember watching The Seventh Seal with my son when he was one. He liked it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For real, uninterrupted fun, try the original "Empire State" by Warhol or Michael Snow's "Wavelength".

For me, it turned into a perverse testing of willpower; an interesting experience nonetheless...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino View Post
    For real, uninterrupted fun, try the original "Empire State" by Warhol or Michael Snow's "Wavelength".

For me, it turned into a perverse testing of willpower; an interesting experience nonetheless...
    I sat through a Warhol Night once. I don't remember what was playing, I just remember endless shots of refridgerators and The Factory. I suppose some people might equate those with the extended work of Mario Bava, but it's a pretty apparent difference to me.

I'm with you, sort of like the time I peed on an electric fence when I was young, an "interesting experience" but not one I'd like to repeat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've been loosely following this thread since it started. I've never done any cine stuff but this thread has made me drool. Wish I had several thousand dollars of disposable income to play with. Another one of those "things" I should have discovered long ago.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, its an incredible art form and it produces GAS as powerful or worse than still photography!

I have been through Super 8mm, 16mm (Bolexes, Auricons, Mitchells, CPs, B&H DR70s) and the 35mm phase (B&H 2709 hand crank, Mitchell STD, Konvas 35mm and Kinor 35mm kit) and it was wonderful.

Got to get me another Konvas or Mitchell 35 mm soon; the bug is biting again...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Bolex Super 8

Anyone had experience with the Bolex 150 Super? Got this at a thrift store. It's missing its lens shade and the rubber eye shade has rotted away, mostly, but the camera seems to work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bolex.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzart View Post
    Anyone had experience with the Bolex 150 Super? Got this at a thrift store. It's missing its lens shade and the rubber eye shade has rotted away, mostly, but the camera seems to work.
    I have one very similar, the Bolex 155, Super 8. I haven't used it for many years. Mine also has the eye piece rotting away. Built in folding lens shade. Great camera, built in macro close ups, zoom lens. I may have the instruction book somewhere. I also have the Bolex light that attaches to it.

Best movie camera I ever owned.

Try it, you'll like it. Good Luck
    Jim
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What Fotch said...

If i remember correctly, you can do single frame exposures for time lapse with a cable release. I think the socket is either under the finger trigger or near the tripod socket...

Had a friend who used a slow rotation speed AC motor, put an arm with a roller bearing on the end of it (like a clock arm with a bearing on it) and built an adapter so that the bearing made contact with a small arm that pushed the shutter release enough to take an exposure and slip off as it went by...

He used an old synchronous, geared motor that turned at 1 RPM, so he got 24 minutes of screen time compressed into each second ; great time interval to film with!

Of course you can build dimpled cams and vary the rate of shooting, try various motors and such.

Fun stuff...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    I have one very similar, the Bolex 155, Super 8. I haven't used it for many years. Mine also has the eye piece rotting away. Built in folding lens shade. Great camera, built in macro close ups, zoom lens. I may have the instruction book somewhere. I also have the Bolex light that attaches to it.

Best movie camera I ever owned.

Try it, you'll like it. Good Luck
    Jim
    Great. I have a bunch of outdated super 8 film I got at a thrift store (like the camera) and am going to a grape crushing event this weekend. Might be fun. Nothing to lose!

I also have the projector that will show it. fantastic. I had not thought of this as being real. What a surprise!..

Thanks.

L.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin