Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,253   Online: 1000

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Bolex anyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format

Keeping it analog...

Certainly a Rank Cintel scan of one's film and non-linear editing with pro hardware and software is the state of the art. But in a comparison between consumer-grade iMovie and the Bolex splicer, I found the Bolex splicer compared very favorably.

I found iMovie to be a little difficult to use. It was hard to standardize the fades, and setting clip length was difficult. It was hard to establish and maintain a rhythm in my project.

On the other hand, the Bolex splicer is a real gem and nothing like the 'cheapie' plastic splicers that populated home-movie-making households in the 70s.

This fantastic device shaves the film into two overlapping tapers that are then welded together, maintaining the image on the emulsion side and leaving a clear splice. There is a faint line through one frame.

Anyone interested in analog film would do well to pick up one of these splicers.

(I can post a splicing 'how to do it' thread if anyone is interested.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I shot a brother-in-law's wedding on Super 8 colour film and then enlarged a few frames to make 5x7 (I think) stills. They were OK. But not up to the quality of shots you'd take with a still camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After many years of putting it off, I finally got a Bolex tripod. The main reason to I wanted to get the Bolex one is that the disks that screw to the bottom of the camera are a pain to take on and off every time I wanted to use a tripod. The Bolex tripod takes the disk, so I can quickly go between handheld with the grip or the tripod. I'll post some pictures.

The other neat thing about the Bolex tripod, vs my regular still camera tripod, is that the Bolex has a fluid head for panning.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin