Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,666   Posts: 1,481,710   Online: 741

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EXIF for film

Shooter
    35mm

EXIF for film

I use a program written by a man named Phil Harvey to add EXIF info to my scanned film files. It doesn't come with its own GUI though, so I've been using it from the command line.

Until now.

I got off my duff and wrote a GUI interface for it. It lets me add cameras, makes, models and apply the data to a directory full of scanned jpg files. If anyone would like to use it, you may download it at:

http://www.wolfeyephoto.com/ExifToolGUI.exe

Note, it won't work at all if you haven't downloaded Phil's great tool. Instructions are linked on the program's main screen.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    For those of you that have looked at my program - like it? Hate it? Please let me know if you have any feedback.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I 'm sure I would love it if it worked on OS X...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It looks excellent, I just tried it and it works well. Can it be expanded to add Shutter Speeds, Aperture etc.

Thanks, Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It looks good, but it doesn't like long file names with spaces... IE. anything on the desktop on an XP machine: "C:\Documents and Settings\Joe Bloggs\Desktop\test" really throws EXIFtool.
    When you give it a location with a short name, it's perfectly happy and works well.
    Would it be possible to add a keywords field as well as aperture & shutter speed?
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Shooter
    35mm

It sure could!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    It looks excellent, I just tried it and it works well. Can it be expanded to add Shutter Speeds, Aperture etc.

Thanks, Ian
    I approached it from a whole roll perspective, which limits it to camera and film and a rough "date taken". I could add shutter and aperture too, but those are more individual file/shot items.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually that's true, once the file has an EXIF code I suppose you can add/change info by going to the files properties dialog box in Windows.

Just tried and you can't change Exp time, F-stop & Focal lenght. But as this is a batch editor can you alter files one at a time ?

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 09-07-2008 at 09:51 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. The concept looks good -- I set it it up on my Win2K machine and everything seems to go through the motions, but the files aren't touched, I suppose it could be some path related thing (I have a lot of stuff on this machine) -- or I scared the bejeebers out of it trying to set a 1966 date in a scan of some old negs! Any idea if your interface needs something from XP or later?

In tracking down Phil Harvey's program, I found another GUI for it that I did get to work, and which allows twiddling more details, but yours would appear to be a much handier way to batch the basic stuff (if I could make it play).

At any rate thanks for offering the fruits of your labor. It inspired me to take a new look at this after giving up a couple of years back. PBase, where I keep a bunch of stuff, is pretty EXIF aware and I've always been weirdly intrigued by the idea of having "Voigtländer Perkeo II" or similar pop out of a "digital" file.

DaveT

Shooter
    35mm

EXIFtool can be used as a batch tool

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Actually that's true, once the file has an EXIF code I suppose you can add/change info by going to the files properties dialog box in Windows.

Just tried and you can't change Exp time, F-stop & Focal lenght. But as this is a batch editor can you alter files one at a time ?

Ian
    So you can set all those things. I'm going to add a feature to add lens, aperture, and shutter speed on an individual file. It'll also have the option of applying those three items to a whole roll - I suppose you could take a whole roll with one lens, f-stop, and shutter speed.

I'll look into the path thing that a few have mentioned. I am testing on a Vista machine so there might be some backward compatibility issues.

Thanks for all the feedback! And yes, it's cool to have "Canon A-1" show up on Pbase stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great, such excellent response. What else can you write for us . . . . .

Thanks gain, Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin