Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,082   Online: 939

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    You mean, like the wonderful Linhof 220? I loved that camera! It's only fault was the film advance, which was prone to breakage. Well, so was the handgrip, for that matter... but it was a great camera!

My wish is for the return of both the Technika 70 and the Press 70. And while I'm dreaming, how about the camera and a set of three lenses, all for under $2,000??? :o
    I think the 220 was a nice concept, but poorly executed. Got to handle one a few years ago, and it was definitely weird, though I could see how a different approach to the design might make for a better camera.

The Technika 70 is cool, but heavy for what it does. My preference would also go towards a 4x5 camera, since you can always add a rollfilm back.

So ideally it would be a simplified Linhof with more limited movements. This could reduce construction and manufacturing costs. Linhof already address the one-camera-for-every-use market, so why not a more limited, or entry-level Linhof . . . Anyway, that was my idea, though it led me to making my own precision camera.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd certainly go along with the Fuji folder and I think it may just happen. Now I don't suppose we could persuade someone to make a batch of sensibly priced 5x7 film holders to save the format from extinction, could we?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't get why 5x7 is pushed over 5x8. Seems there would be less film wasted for 5x8, since you just cut 8x10 in half. Then if you really want a 5x7 final image, you crop that. What am I missing?

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would like to see a company produce a long life lithium 1.35 volt version of the banned Mercury PX 625 battery for all the classic cameras, and light meters that use them .
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven View Post
    I don't get why 5x7 is pushed over 5x8. Seems there would be less film wasted for 5x8, since you just cut 8x10 in half. Then if you really want a 5x7 final image, you crop that. What am I missing?

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography
    I don't think you're missing anything, it's just a case of what film is available. 5x7, 13x18cm and half-plate are all pretty much the same, but unfortunately not all films are made in all sizes. I know where I can get reasonably priced half-plate filmholders (approx 4.75x6.5 inches) but I believe I can only buy 1 film that size in the UK and that is NP22 from Retrophotographic.

Now it may be a perfectly fine film (I haven't tried it) but I'm then totally reliant on that company importing it in future, whereas the same company stocks Ilford FP4+, HP5+, Adox 25, 50 & 100, and Rollei R3 in 5x7. As far as 5x8 goes, I'm not aware of that as a size of filmholder at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the 220 was a nice concept, but poorly executed. Got to handle one a few years ago, and it was definitely weird, though I could see how a different approach to the design might make for a better camera.
    I didn't find it weird at all, but rather incredibly easy to use, especially for street shooting. I carried mine on a wrist strap, and it was perfect for whipping the camera up to your eye, focusing (or not) and shooting. It was the closest to a snapshot medium format camera I've ever seen. Given that you had to like a vertical format, but it's great if you do. A little clumsy to turn it sideways for a horizontal, but no harder than turning most other cameras for verticals. The only camera that comes close is a Leica M.
    Linhof also made one with the handle mounted on the side, like a Technika.
    The Technika 70 is cool, but heavy for what it does. My preference would also go towards a 4x5 camera, since you can always add a rollfilm back.
    Gordon Moat Photography
    That's where I am now, with a Tech V and Super Rollex back. Alas, I don't use it enough. The Tech 70 was much lighter and easier to use than the Tech V + Rollex, not only because of the weight, but also the integrated viewfinder/rangefinder.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/58.html

http://www.antiquewoodcameras.com/novelett.htm

Seems that 5x8 has been around over 100 years, though perhaps just not well known. Additionally, there are a few companies making new 5x8 cameras. I would think that increases the film choices a bit.

I guess since we are still on Photokina wishes, then perhaps more film choices would be nice. Obviously many here are biased towards B/W films, but I would enjoy seeing something more in colour film choices, especially given the recent announcement of Kodak stopping ReadyLoads due to the Polaroid production halt (apparently Polaroid had the packaging machinery). Maybe Fujifilm will expand QuickLoad choices.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Black View Post
    ...Now I don't suppose we could persuade someone to make a batch of sensibly priced 5x7 film holders to save the format from extinction, could we?
    http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/FI5700/

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/c..._detail&p=2628

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for this Sal as I had thought that Fidelity no longer made holders this size. Now if only Calumet in the UK would stock these as well

I've emailed for a quote for shipping to the UK, but once we add on the dreaded 17.5% tax and shipping I feel they will start getting expensive.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ben,

Much has been written on the battery-subject, but the most comprehensive text so far I just found by accident (first the dutch original, second the translated version) is:

http://www.stutterheim.nl/rolleigrap...t-adapt-NL.pdf

http://www.stutterheim.nl/rolleigrap...t-adapt-US.pdf

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin