Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,074   Online: 1016

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I almost never use a camera bag - I only use my Domke when I'm working with my RB, which I only use in certain circumstances, and unfortunately those circumstances haven't come up as much as I'd like, at least not recently. I carry my Contax G2 in either a laptop messenger bag or an old messenger bag, and once it's out, it stays out. I shoot street photography in New York and only use one lens, the 35mm. I will bring my 90mm lens along from time to time but more when I think I might be taking portraits, not for street photography.

I really like not be encumbered by lenses that I'll never pull out and more rolls of film than I'll use in a given day. If I had multiple bodies, I might go for the camera bag route, but I don't. I just find changing lenses while street shooting to be something I can't get in the habit of.

Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnJazz View Post
    That's the idea; the idea to carry less.
    "Carrying less" is fine if you're just walking around taking pictures for fun, or doing a specific type of job that will only require a limited range of focal lengths, or (as I mentioned) shooting on the street, etc. But if I'm going to shoot a wedding, for example, then "carrying less" is not only not a good idea, it's careless. You risk losing your job and your reputation if the one camera you have with you fails. I speak from bitter experience...

On the other hand, for walking the streets of NYC and shooting, carrying less is a very good idea. Last year I shot the Puerto Rico day parade for a client, and I carried all I needed in a backpack. I used one body, one lens (24-70 f2.8), and a flash.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    On the street it is one camera and one lens, a couple roles of film, and a meter if needed. All in the pockets. I even leave the lens cap home, or have lost it already. In the summer I might carry a small purse-like shoulder bag just large enough for my AGFA folder, hood, VC meter, and film. When traveling I use one of three bags: an 11x14 generic messenger bag with a billingham Hadely insert, a Billingham bag designed for leica M, or a Benser hard case with the inserts. All three travel exceptionally well, are small, low profile, and can hold more gear then I'm comfortable carrying. All can be configured (especially the Billingham) for easy access. I can have the camera to my eye in 3 seconds from either bag...not that I ever need to do that...more like I can have the camera back in the bag in 2 seconds ready for a hasty retreat. Even when I have a bag I generally carry the camera slung across my shoulders on top of the bag. If the straps are adjusted correctly the camera can be in the bag and around our shoulder at the same time. Yes, I spend too much time thinking about these things. I've also used a sling from leicagoodies which I highly recommend if a strap is bothersome for ya.
    Chris Saganich
    http://www.imagebrooklyn.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    "Carrying less" is fine if you're just walking around taking pictures for fun, or doing a specific type of job that will only require a limited range of focal lengths, or (as I mentioned) shooting on the street, etc. But if I'm going to shoot a wedding, for example, then "carrying less" is not only not a good idea, it's careless. You risk losing your job and your reputation if the one camera you have with you fails. I speak from bitter experience...

On the other hand, for walking the streets of NYC and shooting, carrying less is a very good idea. Last year I shot the Puerto Rico day parade for a client, and I carried all I needed in a backpack. I used one body, one lens (24-70 f2.8), and a flash.
    Well, I'm not really talking about anything like weddings. I'm talking about just doing photography while going about your business. (Or in Hati as a PJ.)

Surely when you're doing a wedding, you only use a bag as transport? I would assume you'd carry a camera or two on you, along with a wide and tele lens, then possibly have another camera or two set up elsewhere with other lenses for other purposes.

Then again, I'm not a wedding photographer...And I never want to be one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For walking about I use a Lowepro Toploader 65 AW on a Lowepro S&F waist belt to hold an SLR body and a 35-70, or 35mm f2, without lens caps with UV filters fitted, pre focused at 10 feet, I usually carry the camera in my right hand behind my back with the strap wound round my wrist. I usually only put the camera in the case if it starts raining.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use a small camera bag which holds 1 camera, 1 lens and film, a filter or two, light meter, cable release and lens hood. Sharpie marker, post-it notes too. That's all I need generally. It's a very small bag and I am able to cram a hassy in there with all that stuff. I have these clips and lowepro bags which I clip onto the sides of the camera bag, where the strap is sewed into, gives me a bit of expansion space.

I like not bringing too much if i'm going anywhere. Too much to carry, too much to lose.. and what if you don't use it?

When i'm taking my 4x5 out, I have a nondescript canvas messenger bag. My camera fits in this with 6 to 8 film holders, lightmeter, maybe an additional lens.

I do own a nice vulcanoid case for it but it's either relegated to the car or closet. Gets heavy!

I agree though, I seem to be collecting the things.. although I find it painful to pay the money for a 'camera bag', I seem to find non-camera bags at thrift stores and department stores for not much money. A bit of padding and usually they work just as good as anything else i've seen.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin