Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,687   Online: 1160

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Maybe this would work) I'm still trying to unload this on someone.
    http://www.apug.org/classifieds/show...cat=500&page=1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been pleased with the Sekonic L718. Very accurate and versatile. The spot attachment is only 5 degrees narrow but when I've needed it, it was usable. I see these slip through the auction site from time to time but they are not real common. When they pop up, they seem to go at very good prices as they seem to be an unknown to most people.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by craigclu View Post
    I have been pleased with the Sekonic L718. Very accurate and versatile. The spot attachment is only 5 degrees narrow but when I've needed it, it was usable. I see these slip through the auction site from time to time but they are not real common. When they pop up, they seem to go at very good prices as they seem to be an unknown to most people.
    I sold the L718 from my late husband's collection about a month ago, but the L778 is just sitting there still, and I'm not entirely clear why. My sense is that it's not about the fact that they're not being made anymore. Was it "too much" meter? There seem to be allergies to bells and whistles that cling to certain models....

Now that I think of it, there's a case with the name "Gossen" over there, and when I asked a well-respected photographer friend what it was, he said, "Some kind of meter....." and we never got any farther than that!

Shooter
    Large Format
    A gossen starlight would do the job
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok...What are the differences between the 718, 778, and so on compared to the 508 and 758?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnJazz View Post
    Bah. I was hoping it had some kind of ambient setting, like the matrix meters oh so many cameras employ.
    All light is ambient except for flash.
    You're looking at reflected, incident or spot. Spot is reflected measured in a narrow area. so there's nothing missing except a "wider" angle of acceptance in reflected mode.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok...What are the differences between the 718, 778, and so on compared to the 508 and 758?
    <snipped> www.sekonic.com should have some answers: manuals here: http://www.sekonic.com/support/support_21.asp

Cheers, Bob.
    Last edited by Bob F.; 09-07-2008 at 01:25 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: not so sure about the differences...

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Try the L-758DR

Hi AutumnJazz,

I believe that the Sekonic L-758DR does everything you want, and runs about $450-500, depending on the dealer, new/used status, etc. The L-758C (C for "Cine") is considerably more expensive for features that I don't believe you're looking for.

You can save a bit more by looking on line (e.g. certain auction sites) for a NOS or used L-758D (no "R"). IIRC, that's the same as the L-758DR but without the Pocket Wizard remote facility.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I finally found this to enable me to answer some questions about the L-778 I have to sell... hope it's helpful:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWor...eter_comp.html

Shooter
    Multi Format

Sekonic L-508

I also recommend Sekonic L-508. I have been using it for several years as incident/reflected/studio flash meter and it's great. The only drawback is that it has problems with low light, so if that's important part of your photography, you should look for something else.
    Gracjan Ziółek, gracjan.art.pl

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin