Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,949   Posts: 1,585,933   Online: 1003

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Incident, Reflected, Spot, and Flash light meter?

I'm basically looking for an extremely versitile flash meter.

The Sekonic L-758C seems to fit the bill perfectly, but I will not drop $700 on a light meter. :|

Help?

Actually...The L-758C is only like $500 on ebay, new. Not that much more than my real budget of $300.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The previous model was the L-508, does pretty much everything the 758 does, except maybe for that dynamic range profile thing.

I have an L-488, which does reflected only, but both spot and averaging, including flash. Still cheap at 150$.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 508, I bought it on Ebay as "erratic, not accurate", I fully planned to send it to QLM, as for $85, they would go through it and recal or repair,

My repair person tested it, found it dead on, and so far, I have no problems with it. One of the better $40 investments I made.

The 508 is the only meter that will fit all your requirements, they're out there used, and usually sell fairly reasonable, though mine was a fluke, I'm sure.

Shooter
    35mm
    Alright, thank you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Small point: the 508 (& I believe the 758) do reflective reading in spot mode only - they don't do general (40deg or so) reflective. Very nice meters (I have an L-508). They measure flash in all modes which is nice if you use flash a lot.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    35mm
    Bah. I was hoping it had some kind of ambient setting, like the matrix meters oh so many cameras employ.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, it does incident reading, with the dome up for nearly 180 degree or down for substantially less (ideal for measuring lighting ratios)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I admit to being a Luddite - I've got a Gossen Luna-Pro F that I wouldn't trade even for one of the new and fancy digital meters.

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the studio, I use my Luna Pro for continuous light, a Soligor Spot meter for spot readings, and my Ascor Mk. II for strobe, both analog (and bulky..), the 508 stays in the bag 99% of the time for field use, allowing me to carry one meter to cover all my metering needs. (and allows me to carry another lens or more filmholders, etc)

erie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by epatsellis View Post
    I bought it on Ebay as "erratic, not accurate",

My repair person tested it, found it dead on, ...

... a fluke, I'm sure.
    My guess is the seller didn't know how to meter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin