Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,662   Online: 828

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rejuvenating silica packs.

My local camera shop manager just gave me 20 small paper packs of silica gel that were included in shipments of camera gear.I've heard about heating them in the oven or microwave to bring them back to full strength.
    A quick web search turned up some questionable results: 2 hrs. at 90c
    Any ideas?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That sounds about right. Look for flower drying sites, my Grandma used to have a big tin of silica gel she used for drying flowers, and she rejuvinated it by putting it in the oven on low heat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not so sure about the microwave, but the oven method works. I've seen varying recommendations on time and temp. I generally do 2-4 hours (depending on size) at 225f if it's not in paper. In paper, I'd go longer but not as hot.

BTW, I have some large packs (about 3/4 or 1 lb each) that originally came packed with motorcycles being shipped from Japan. Don't know if that's still a source or not.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'll second mgb74. A few hours just below the boiling point of water will do the trick. I'd skip the microwave. The heating is uneven.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Paper packaging should be fine at 225F. Ignition temp of paper is 451F -- hence the book by the same name...Farenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am pretty sure you can buy silica gel fairly easily and inexpensively. Not sure if it's really worth the hassle of rejuvinating, especially if you are unsure. You wouldn't want to risk any equipment!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that it's not the heat per se but the drying out in the oven. So I'm not sure how the microwave would work.

Some silica gel (though not the stuff already in packets) has indicator "beads" that change color when reactivated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iamzip View Post
    I am pretty sure you can buy silica gel fairly easily and inexpensively. Not sure if it's really worth the hassle of rejuvinating, especially if you are unsure. You wouldn't want to risk any equipment!
    I see the little packets in bottles of prescription drugs, but where can a person go out and buy them?
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IIRC Lee Valley sells several sizes.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    "pelican" makes handy re-usable silica packets for cameras and electronics. They cost around $15. They can be re-charged by cooking them in an oven at around 300 degrees for a few hours or until the colour changes from purple to red.They're great for traveling except when you need an oven to re-charge them.
    "Printing has more to do with determination than magic"
    -Charles Harbutt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin