Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,070   Online: 1120

Shooter
    Medium Format

Need Help with Sekonic L558R meter

Hi all,

Recently I picked up a Sekonic L-558 from another photographer and I can't get the spotmeter to work. It seems that no matter where I point the spotmeter to (bright, dark, white, black, etc), it gives me a ridiculous reading at 22EV and drops to 10EV when I point it at a strong light! I am wondering if the meter is broken or if there is a hidden function that I am not aware of. Thank you in advance for your help!
    Chemophilic
    Hasselblad 500C, Pentax 67
    My Website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The exposure compensation setting may be set supper high. Try pressing iso1 & iso2 buttons at the same time while the meter is on and spot metering is selected. It should display Adj with a number. You can turn the wheel to change the compensation +/- 9.9 Ev. Thats the only way I can think of with the sekonic L558 meter that you can get readings that are that far off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by evilhomer78 View Post
    The exposure compensation setting may be set supper high. Try pressing iso1 & iso2 buttons at the same time while the meter is on and spot metering is selected. It should display Adj with a number. You can turn the wheel to change the compensation +/- 9.9 Ev. Thats the only way I can think of with the sekonic L558 meter that you can get readings that are that far off.

Is the error repeated with when making an incident or reflected reading, additional to spot?

Very similar to evilhomer's tweak above is another: check for a possible custom calibration — this is different to exposure compensation and/or filter factor that has been applied to the meter by the previous owner. To enter Calibration mode, hold down ISO 1 + ISO 2 buttons + power button simultaneously; the display shows CAL 0.x (where x is a tenth). I don't have a reference for the L558 (I use an L758) but I do think it is the same operation. Check the downloadable pdf instructions from Sekonic.com ---> http://www.sekonic.com/images/files/L-558Eng.pdf which will walk you through the meter's modus operandi.

These big Sekonics can be confusing with so many settings if you lose your way and it's often best to remove the battery as a quick "reset" and start again!
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 09-12-2008 at 03:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin