Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,641   Online: 727

Shooter
    Holga
    Images

Looking for Archiving Software recomendations

Hi-I have a friend that is looking to put a searchable archive of his fathers 45,000 analog images on-line and wondering if anyone knows of any software that can manage this.
    Thanks in advance.

Victor
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This is a database, web server, usability type question. And a very big one.

Much will depend on your friend's skill set and time. Many questions need to be answered before starting, and once started, "online" often leads to management, administration, and security. Going "online" is rarely a static situation.

Good luck to your friend.

- By the way, "analog images" and "on-line" is somewhat confusing. I can understand digital facsimiles of "analog images on-line".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only thing that comes to mind for small-scale use is FileMaker. It is a desktop database application that has some web interface features.

There is plenty of software around that can do this on a large scale, like millions of images, but I doubt that the cost is something your friend can afford.

Fundamentally, as dried_squid said, it's a database problem. Basically, you need to scan everything into a collection of directories, and make a database record for each image. In each record of the database, you store the path and name of the image file, and a collection of "meta-data" that would be the searchable information. Around that you have an application that can manage the searching and presentation of the image file.

FileMaker can do most of that, pretty much off-the-shelf, with little programming. MS Access might be able to, I'm not sure, but would need more programming. You could certainly do it with things like mysql, but with more programming.

It may be possible to do it with things like Adobe Bridge/Photoshop. A lot depends on what his requirements are for the searchable information. If he is just looking for mostly slide-show functionality, that may do it, though 45K would be a lot of images for something like that.
    Last edited by bdial; 10-05-2008 at 07:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think you should look into this as a starting point

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe I'm just a luddite but the idea that software can do archiving seems wrong. Sure, I use software to catalogue and record things but the software data is not an archive.

Only original material, not copies, not transcripts, constitutes an archive. Only original material that needs no read-out device other than a pair of eyes is ultimately archived.

Forgive my anxiety but already some of my friends have scanned all their photographs, burned the data to DVD, and throw the physical photographs out in the trash. I weep!
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    35mm
    The web mistress at my local camera club swears by ACDSee. Quoth their own press release: "Once images are indexed by ACDSee 10’s database, the new, online Uploader tool is optimized to share them quickly and easily through Flickr, Smugmug and other popular photo sharing Web sites." Apparently they also have their own "album-hosting" service as well, called "SendPix".

I have no personal experience with this software.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's also Picasa.

http://picasa.google.com/
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin