Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,746   Online: 890

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Recommend a tripod from Fry's electronics

I'm going to shoot some fireworks this weekend so I need a tripod. I don't have much money (definitely <$50, preferably more like $25). I'm sure I can't buy a very good tripod, but Fry's has a bunch of them in that price range. Maybe I should get a smallish one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hate to say this, but I think you'd be wasting your money. Although fireworks may not require all that sharp an exposure.

Better to find a used Bogen/Manfretto or Tiltall. Check craigslist if it's active in your area.

If you do go with a small/light tripod, don't extend the legs any more than absolutely necessary and don't extend the center column at all.

Shooter
    35mm
    You're not going to get a <i>good</i> tripod from Fry's for $50 or under. I'm guessing you're shopping at Fry's either because you or a friend works there, or you have a gift card...? Don't waste your money on a cheesey tripod! If you really need a cheapo, pick one up from a thrift store for $5-$10. Otherwise, for a new tripod... Spend at least $100 on a new (Chinese) Tiltall. Probably the most stable for the $. Better yet, spend $60-$80 on a clean old used (Marchioni - USA made) Tiltall. The next jump up in cost may get you a slightly lighter setup, but not much more stable.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I agree with the others. Best tripod for the money is a secondhand Marchioni or Leitz Tiltall.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok I'll probably forget it altogether then. The fireworks are tomorrow so I don't have time to hunt out a nice one. I was hoping to hear that there were actually decent tripods available for cheap. I just mentioned Fry's because they have a ton of them on display.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    When I first started many years ago I bought a $20 tripod and used it a lot and got some great pictures. Should be able to get a decent one nowadays for $50. Try to get one that would be high enough without extending the column all the way, as it can get rickety. You would also need a cable release for your camera. Good luck!

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Velbon CX-690

I agree with Jon, a cheap tripod is better than none at all, and for 35mm I do not see anything wrong with this tripod, just don't extend all the sections out, leave the last skinny section in the tube (legs).

Terry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For roughly $50 get this: http://salestores.com/slab30trwi3p.html, for example. You would also have to pay for the shipping, but the Slik is a lot more stable than the aforementioned Velbon. Frankly, the Velbon is cr*p. I used the Slik Able 300DX for several years without complaining and sold it last week in battered condition for about $100 (here in Europe, that is) to buy a Feisol. So I think you can have this Slik for very little money.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frdrx View Post
    For roughly $50 get this: http://salestores.com/slab30trwi3p.html, for example. You would also have to pay for the shipping, but the Slik is a lot more stable than the aforementioned Velbon. Frankly, the Velbon is cr*p. I used the Slik Able 300DX for several years without complaining and sold it last week in battered condition for about $100 (here in Europe, that is) to buy a Feisol. So I think you can have this Slik for very little money.
    Agreed, Slik is a good tripod, it was my first--although it was a bit sturdier than the 300DX, but Fry's does not carry Slik, only Velbon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If Fry's is your only choice in the timeframe you have, and you're willing to accept that it may not be the best deal, buy the sturdiest looking one they have. As stated, it will be better than nothing, assuming you work within it's limitations. If you know someone close by into photography, you might be able to borrow a better tripod. If you have any photographic stores nearby, they may have something used, or discontinued that you might obtain cheaply.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin