Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,465   Posts: 1,570,695   Online: 961

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Release cable?

Anybody care to suggest one that might last more then two trips of a shutter? Must be one out there. I don't need a long one or anything fancy.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I can't remember the name of mine but I keep several around so that I am not out in the wilds somewhere and boom mine decideds to live somewhere else other than my camera bag or decides it wants to retire and live a life of ease. Several years ago I was in the Big Bend NP and lost my only one. The last summer the guy I was with sent mine back saying that he had found it amoungst his stuff. Now I have several.

lee\c

My current favorite is a Topcon dual release, presumably designed for their macro bellows system. I removed one of the cables and use it as a single release. Beautifully made thing, silky operation, heavy plunger, well designed for one-hand operation. It has a push-to-lock center plunger and push-to-unlock outer collar rather than the clumsy twisty grubscrew thingy.

I still have and occasionally use a couple of no-name, cheapo types. They fit inside little pouches and pockets of my small camera bags where the Topcon wouldn't fit so well.

But for my nighttime photo forays I now use the Topcon exclusively so I don't have to fumble in the dark.

BTW, I also have a similarly designed Nikon push-on/push-off cable release but it's made for the Nikon F and F2 to fit around the shutter release rather than inside. I don't even have those model Nikons but the release works the same way on my Yashica 635 TLR if I remove the outer knurled collar.

Dunno if Nikon's other cable releases are so well designed and made.
    Three degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I cannot give you the names of the ones I have, but can reccomend to saty away from the plastic covered type. I have 3 cable releases, 2 are covered in a spring metal, one in cloth. All three have survived at least 10 years and still working perfectly. If you are not prone to loose them, get a good one, it will save you money in the long run.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree with Jorge on the cloth covered ones. If you shoot large format I waould suggest leaving them on the lens. I have one for each lens, as well as a few extras for my 35mm cameras. SInce I started leaving them on the lens I haven't lost one, and it makes setup much quicker.

I've actually got a few. All broken to one extent or the other. The last one lasted about a week. I took it apart and had to throw some parts away. Couldn't get them back together. It now works -) But I'm not betting on that lasting. Some one gave me a release that must be better part of 50 years old. It's got that feel to it. You can feel a break in it. But it also works for the moment.

So you're all saying get a cloth covered one? Well those are the cheapest ones on the adorama website so that's okay.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have three...

An airbulb thingy from HAMA: Nice and long, but the threaded end is so bulky it can only be used on a very few lenses.

A newish plasitc-covered one: Good, but too stiff.

A cloth-covered one from around 1930: Pertect!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I just remembered the name of my cable releases. Gepe.

lee\c

Those seem pretty reasonable to. Thanks.

I also switched to Gepe a year ago and have no trouble now. (he says with fingers crossed)

I also like their flex links for recessed boards. Much better than those rigid angles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin