Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,918   Online: 972

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Acrophobia.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbannow View Post
    John, do you suppose the rope trick would work for helicopters as well? I don't know how I would carry those miles of rope though!
    First you need a very large sky hook that will travel above the helicopter. Then you need to figure out how to pass the rope around the cutting blades of the chopper. After that rope storage is a piece of cake.

JP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe it's not a phobia, but a sign of intelligence? After all,not falling over precipices does allow one to pass their genes on to the next generation. This is what it's all about after all, isn't it?

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think so. More of flying, which a lot of times keeps me from getting good out the window shots
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use to shoot pictures hanging out of the side of aircraft. Now in my old age I freaked out riding my bike across a bridge when I realized I was sitting higher than the guard rail .Needless to say now I walk across bridges if I am shooting anything.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    To get the right photo of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, an acrophoboc friend had to climb up on a railing and lean over the chasm. She was able to get the shot when I held her by the legs and said, "I won't let you fall. That's my camera you're using."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my childhood I took swimming lessons so one day the coach asked the kids to jump from the platform. The pool had 1m, 3m, 5m and 10m high platforms. I could not pass the 3m for anything in the world. I had to back-up from the 5m and 10m because I could not even look down; kids laughed I felt bad but life goes on. I hike, went to over 2000m in the mountains but I do not get close to cliffs. I also have a problem when spinning as in going into rides at Wonderland and this kind of activities; It is not fear but rather sickness. I almost faint couple of times in the past so I stay away. Are these phobias connected (at the brain level...)?
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Not normally a problem here...but for a short time period (a couple years or so) I could not walk on a log over any great height. It was not fear...it was something tied to the visual imput, my inner ear and my brain. I would lose all sense of balance.

I am not very clausicphobic(sp)...I can hang out in elevators, caves and deep into lava tubes, etc -- but the even the idea of being in a very narrow space where I can not turn around starts a panic response. I can even pinpoint the experience as a young boy that probably was the trigger for this phobia -- but the mind is a strange beast. Now, if one of my boys was stuck in a cave and I had to crawl through a narrow place to rescue him, I wonder if my parentual instincts would over power the phobia. Hope I don't have to give it that test!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess famous is that photo of that photographer with his huge reflex camera on a rod of a skyscraper in construction.

But I must admit I could not even do this…:

http://www.tzuid.eu/evenementen/fomu/plissart

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    I am not afraid of heights as long as I have something to hold onto; a guard rail, handhold, anything. But if I have to go up on a roof or other unprotected area, I cannot walk to the edge. I have no problem inside airplanes.
    Same here, I used to climb radio towers a few hundred feet and have flown a small helo Robinson r22 with no fear, however put me 10-20 feet on a roof my palms sweat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I start shaking when I go near a steep long drop. Even when I look up on a very tall building I can get jittery and start losing my balance. It's not a fear as I'm not afraid. I just start losing my balance.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin