Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,716   Posts: 1,514,787   Online: 848

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Acrophobia.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I, too, have the fear of heights, or rather, the fear of falling. Like others here, I won't get near the edge of any precipice.

Airplanes don't bother me, though, for some reason. A few years ago, I took an acrobatic ride in an open cockpit biplane - complete with loops, rolls, etc., and the only thing holding me in the biplane when it was inverted were the shoulder straps. As they were strapping a parachute on me, they gave me thorough instructions... "If the pilot yells 'GET OUT,' jump and pull this..." :o

Here's a video of the acrobatic ride. I didn't shoot the video, but it's the same plane and the same pilot.

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to be afraid of some things, but now I just don't care enough to get worked up over much at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have no fear of heights or falling... its the sudden stop at the bottom that terrifies me.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Basierbe View Post
    Yes. I have a problem standing close to the edge of a building or cliff, but oddly enough I can sit in an airplane 30,000 feet in the air and look out the window no problem.

Jerry
    Same here.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It seems to be pretty common here to not like falling. I'm the same. I can't go near big drops without a railing or rope. Yet I like to rock climb (with belay, etc..).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think age may be a factor as well. While in college (long ago) I was fortunate to have an apprentice job as a wire lather. We placed and wired re-bar before the concrete was poured on high-rises being built in lower Manhattan. Back in the 60's it was great pay, hard work and I thought nothing of walking a narrow, plywood form 200 ft. in the air. Now.. well just this past week I was painting the trim on my daughter and son-in-law's house and some of the trim was a good 25' up and one strip required my climbing on the roof of the attached garage. The only way I would consider it was tossing a rope over the roof and tying it off to a fence post for some stability while up there. The sphincter factor was 9.0 end bumped to 9.5 while trying to get back on the ladder to come down.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like many of you I don't have a fear of heights -- I love hiking up all kinds of trails -- but it's the going down that always gets me. I used to think that it was because I was short and had a short reach that I've always been so careful about going down any kind of slope, but I've come to realize that it's because I have problems with vertigo, and fear the fall.

I have no problems flying, driving, or walking in high places, even near the edges, although I will crawl on my hands and knees to be able to deal with the edges. But usually when I'm in places like that the wind is so strong it's not very good for photography anyway.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    35mm
    I'll have to say I have no real fear of heights I would love to go rock climbing but being short and rather stocky isn't the best combination for that... The only time I ever get weirded out by heights is when I'm in a car especially with me driving. Then again I just don't like cars...

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't have a fear of heights, but if I have not been dealing with it, a ladder or taking a tree down from the top-down,it takes me a few hours before I am totally at ease, stretching over the abyss, or going up on the rungs, or bending branches, you are not supposed to be on, and few days before I start acting like a monkey in a tree.

Continual exposure, may not make you feel at ease, but it may make you more comfortable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm actually the opposite: claustrophobic in the extreme. To the point I won't get into a packed lift at work:
    prefer to wait for an empty or nearly empty one.

Buses? No way. Trains? Only off-peak. Cars? They need to be large/no passengers.
    Caves or tunnels or narrow corridors? Yeah, right...

Weird. And it's getting worse with age.
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin