Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,653   Online: 715

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Acrophobia.

Shooter
    35mm
    I tend to be bothered by it at least when watching tv and the camera is pointing down a tall building. The best way for me to cure it is to be near a snake...I forget all about the fear of heights for awhile until the snake is dead.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Can you treat it?
    As in make the phobia disappear or at least make it insignificant as it doesn't impede your life?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyR View Post
    I don't have a fear of heights, but if I have not been dealing with it, a ladder or taking a tree down from the top-down,it takes me a few hours before I am totally at ease, stretching over the abyss, or going up on the rungs, or bending branches, you are not supposed to be on, and few days before I start acting like a monkey in a tree.

Continual exposure, may not make you feel at ease, but it may make you more comfortable.
    I'm the same way, somewhat. There is the initial fear that I overcome rather quickly.

Example: The first time going up a very tall ladder I'm clinging to the ladder and looking down, feeling very tense, but after being on the ladder for a few minutes the tension goes away. After that I'm practically running up an down the ladder, feeling at ease. I don't have a problem looking down from the edge of a roof, or cliff, as long as my toes aren't hanging over the edge, but only after standing back for the first few seconds.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't have a fear of heights. I have been frightened of falling on occasion.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    I don't have a fear of heights. I have been frightened of falling on occasion.
    It's not the fall, it's the sudden stop at the end that worries me.

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to have a fear of heights til I spent 4 years in the Air Force working in a 100' high tower and riding in helicopters.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Heights have always made me "nervous", in that my mouth would go dry and my palms would sweat and, at times, I would uncontrollably tremble. It didn't stop me from repelling down rock faces in Yosemite, or joining the ladder company in the local volunteer fire dep't. Madness? Death Wish? Maybe just a thrillseeker.

Mental picture for acrophobics: you climb, alone, 50 maybe 75 feet up an aerial ladder to put water on a burning house. You're spraying 500 gallons a minute with such force that every slight movement causes the ladder to groan and twist in the opposite direction. As you move the stream from one window to another, the water column hits the building between and you're violently flung backward until it reaches the next window and you drop immediately towards the fire. Your pants still dry?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin